Russian Carrier puts to Sea

Old April 5th 05, 08:39 PM
Peter Kemp

On 5 Apr 2005 12:13:08 -0700, "David E. Powell"
wrote:

What did they call the Royal Navy's Harrier Carriers? I thought it was
V/STOL. (Vertical or Short Take Off and Landing.)

Way back when Harriers were first being introduced, VTOL was used,
then they realised payloads could be increased if a rolling take off
was used so we got V/STOL, but since no vertical takeoffs are made
outside of airshows for payload reasons these days, STOVL (pronounced
sto-vull by a friend of mine who flew Sea Harriers until recently)
took over as being more accurate.

--
Peter Kemp

"Life is short...drink faster"
Old April 6th 05, 10:32 AM
Brian Sharrock

"David E. Powell" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ken

What did they call the Royal Navy's Harrier Carriers? I thought it was
V/STOL. (Vertical or Short Take Off and Landing.)

IIRC,'they' called them 'Invincible'(R05), 'Illustrious'(R06)
and 'Ark Royal'(R07).
Actually, they've been utilised for STO and VL evolutions of
the embarked Harriers; that is Short (Rolling) Take-off (that's
the purpose of the 'ski-jump') while Verical Landings are most
expeditious for the pilots and maintainers/armourers.
The Harriers, of various Mk's, from FRS1 to GR7, are VSTOL
while I believe the ships themselves are classified by the Navy
as 'CVS.

--

Brian

Old April 6th 05, 05:12 PM
Ken Duffey

Brian Sharrock wrote:
"David E. Powell" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ken

What did they call the Royal Navy's Harrier Carriers? I thought it was
V/STOL. (Vertical or Short Take Off and Landing.)

IIRC,'they' called them 'Invincible'(R05), 'Illustrious'(R06)
and 'Ark Royal'(R07).
Actually, they've been utilised for STO and VL evolutions of
the embarked Harriers; that is Short (Rolling) Take-off (that's
the purpose of the 'ski-jump') while Verical Landings are most
expeditious for the pilots and maintainers/armourers.
The Harriers, of various Mk's, from FRS1 to GR7, are VSTOL
while I believe the ships themselves are classified by the Navy
as 'CVS.

Wasn't it John Farley? who said it is better to stop and then land than
it is to land and then stop !!

Ken

Old April 9th 05, 06:25 AM
Fred J. McCall

Ken Duffey wrote:

:Short Take Off But Arrested Recovery

And when did we start including conjunctions and such in acronyms?

Why isn't VSTOL rendered as VOSTOAL?

--
"It's always different. It's always complex. But at some point,
somebody has to draw the line. And that somebody is always me....
Old April 9th 05, 06:35 AM
Fred J. McCall

Guy Alcala wrote:

:Whereas US, French and Brazilian CV/CVNs are described as CATOBAR, and everything
:else (at the moment) is STOVL.

And why isn't that STOAVL, given that we're now including words like
'but' in the acronyms?

Old April 9th 05, 07:01 AM
TOliver

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
Ken Duffey wrote:

:Short Take Off But Arrested Recovery

And when did we start including conjunctions and such in acronyms?

Why isn't VSTOL rendered as VOSTOAL?

When the sortie for training is planned to include the grand sum of forty
(40) landings and takeoffs (by whatever means including falling off the
roundown) it hardly matters what you call it.

Ruusian ADM: "We do have a couple of 'decurions' we can send down to train
those Indian avatars/aviators...."

TMO

Old April 9th 05, 10:02 AM
Ken Duffey

Fred J. McCall wrote:
Ken Duffey wrote:

:Short Take Off But Arrested Recovery

And when did we start including conjunctions and such in acronyms?

Why isn't VSTOL rendered as VOSTOAL?

Hey! Don't shoot the messenger!!

I don't make up these acronyms - someone asked what it meant, so I did
a search and came up with the answer.

Sheesh....... g

Ken