IFR flight from KNEW to KMBO - Video

Old January 25th 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default IFR flight from KNEW to KMBO - Video

IFR flight from KNEW to KMBO

Lots of lessons learned for me on this flight. Video covers from
talking to Clearance Delivery to IFR cancellation. Also the video has
my progressive taxi instructions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX21Kccu5Bs

I operate in the "land of direct" and usually get questioned if I file
anything different. Not the same in a busy airspace like New Orleans.

I thought (incorrectly) that if it was severe clear that GPS direct
would work, but as I found out particularly on this flight, DP is the
norm no matter what the weather conditions are.

On this flight, I should have put NO DP. While this won't get me GPS
direct, it will save some radio work and communicate to ATC what I
don't have.

Most importantly, for me, when I am unsure, as you will see in the
video, I'd much rather ask and sound dumb on the radio then do
something dumb on the ground or in the air when I am clueless myself
or receive an unclear clearance..
Old January 28th 09, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

I thought your departure from KNEW was interesting. I wonder what part of
"progressive taxi" the controller didn't understand.

I was surprised they didn't care that you didn't repeat the runway name when
acknowledging the hold short instruction.

I like that you don't say, "With you ..."

I think your videos are great. Do you post them to any student groups?

Jon

Old January 28th 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 27, 8:09*pm, "Jon Woellhaf" wrote:
I thought your departure from KNEW was interesting. I wonder what part of
"progressive taxi" the controller didn't understand.

I was surprised they didn't care that you didn't repeat the runway name when
acknowledging the hold short instruction.

I like that you don't say, "With you ..."

I think your videos are great. Do you post them to any student groups?

Jon

Thanks for the compliments Jon,

You know, I never thought about the "hold short". I know you have to
read back hold short instructions for taxiing (I.E taxi to 18 left via
foxtrot, charlie, hold short runway niner), but never thought you had
to mention the runway number holding short before departure. I did
mention to Tower, Sundowner 1943L at the end of 18 left ready for
departure. Would that been enough acknowledgment of runway
assignment??

My controlled airport ground ops experience is very, very limited so
any input on helping me improve my radio work most appreciated :-).

I always try to make a conscientious effort to mention runway number
when I am cleared to land even if it's not a left or right situation
and more so when there are parallel runways.

Yes, I agree with you, "with you" really not needed.

The only student group I am aware of is rec.aviation.student. Are
there other groups?
Old January 28th 09, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

wrote:
[...]

The other thing that bugs me at uncontrolled airports is "traffic in the
area please advise". If they were listening before hand that would not
be necessary and it is not recommended by the AIM.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old January 28th 09, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

At my base, KBJC (Metro, Denver, Colorado -- previously Jeffco), controllers
invariably jump on anyone who doesn't mention the runway number when reading
back a hold short instruction. The examples in the AIM all include the
runway number. I thought I'd seen a specific directive to require readback
of the runway number, but I can't find it now. Maybe it's just a local
procedure.

When I'm directed to "... hold short of runway 29 Right," I reply, "Hold
short 29 Right, 18 November." Of course, none of the phraseology examples
I've seen allow stating the aircraft identification last, but I usually do
that, so who am I to criticize your radio procedures. g

Yeah, rec.aviation.student is the only student group I know of, but I don't
follow it.

Jon

Old February 6th 09, 04:02 PM
larryb711 larryb711 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Woellhaf View Post
At my base, KBJC (Metro, Denver, Colorado -- previously Jeffco), controllers
invariably jump on anyone who doesn't mention the runway number when reading
back a hold short instruction. The examples in the AIM all include the
runway number. I thought I'd seen a specific directive to require readback
of the runway number, but I can't find it now. Maybe it's just a local
procedure.

When I'm directed to "... hold short of runway 29 Right," I reply, "Hold
short 29 Right, 18 November." Of course, none of the phraseology examples
I've seen allow stating the aircraft identification last, but I usually do
that, so who am I to criticize your radio procedures. g

Yeah, rec.aviation.student is the only student group I know of, but I don't
follow it.

Jon
I might be anal, but I always state my runway when taxing, holding short, starting departure roll, or landing. I just always want the tower to know what runway it is my understanding that I should be on.
Old February 6th 09, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 6, 10:02*am, larryb711
wrote:

I might be anal, but I always state my runway when taxing, holding
short, starting departure roll, or landing. I just always want the
tower *to know what runway it is my understanding that I should be on.

Absolutely nothing anal about being sure :-) As you can see, I
clarified the runway assignment as I was taxiing as I couldn't
remember in the beginning what ATC said.

My problem is inexperience with controlled field ground ops, and I
always would rather sound dumb on the radio then do something dumb on
the ground.