New diesel engine from Subaru...

Old March 20th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default New diesel engine from Subaru...

On Mar 19, 5:19 pm, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk At Wow Way
D0t C0m wrote:
"jan olieslagers" wrote in message

schreef:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124553

2L TDIO, All aluminum block/head, boosted, intercooled, 258 pound-feet
of torque @ 1,800 rpm. Probably a terrible engine for a car. But for
an airplane....

Haven't found the weight yet.

Not the first I hear about it. As I understand it is a modification of
their petrol boxers so the weight should be comparable.

I thought GM had killed the "gas engine converted to a diesel" market.

The typical 10,000 mile (or so) TBO didn't go over well with the public.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Because half-assed engineering in the 70s has sooo much to do with
this engine. You know those Coleco vision games really sucked too.
And bean bags were such a lame technology, I can't imagine anyone
buying a chair ever again... And Disco? WTF was that? I'll never use a
radio again... ever..

-Matt
Old March 20th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

schreef:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124553

2L TDIO, All aluminum block/head, boosted, intercooled, 258 pound-feet
of torque @ 1,800 rpm. Probably a terrible engine for a car. But for
an airplane....

Haven't found the weight yet.

Not the first I hear about it. As I understand it is a modification of
their petrol boxers so the weight should be comparable.

I thought GM had killed the "gas engine converted to a diesel" market.

The typical 10,000 mile (or so) TBO didn't go over well with the public.

VW proved it could be done well, as did Peugot years ago IIRC.

GM is proved GM engineers have trouble getting it right the first
time, and management doesn't allow second mistakes???

Old March 20th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:29:44 +0100, Philippe Vessaire
wrote:

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124553

2L TDIO, All aluminum block/head, boosted, intercooled, 258
pound-feet of torque @ 1,800 rpm. Probably a terrible engine for a
car. But for an airplane....

Haven't found the weight yet.
178kg 392lbs

How big a prop do you want to spin? with 258 torque available at 1800,
assuming a fairly flat power curve you have 135 HP at 2800 RPM. Not
bad for what would likely turn out to be a 300 lb engine stripped for
flight.

Realy, I don't know but I don't think you have 135Hp@2800rpm.
150hp@3600rpm in the car...

For TBO: think Thielert....

258 ft lbs X 2800 rpm = 722400 / 5252= 137.54.
The torque will hold well past 2800 RPM on a turbo Direct Injection
Diesel. Real fat torque curve. I'd be very surprised if there was
less than 145 at 3600 (Math says 176 if the torque holds, I figured
85% of max torque at 3600, for 150 HP)

Old March 20th 08, 07:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Hix

In article 1310142.npAD8lHYCv@GastonCoute,
Philippe Vessaire wrote:

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124553

2L TDIO, All aluminum block/head, boosted, intercooled, 258
pound-feet of torque @ 1,800 rpm. Probably a terrible engine for a
car. But for an airplane....

Haven't found the weight yet.
178kg 392lbs

How big a prop do you want to spin? with 258 torque available at 1800,
assuming a fairly flat power curve you have 135 HP at 2800 RPM. Not
bad for what would likely turn out to be a 300 lb engine stripped for
flight.

Realy, I don't know but I don't think you have 135Hp@2800rpm.
150hp@3600rpm in the car...

For TBO: think Thielert....

What are Thielert's TBO like?
Old March 20th 08, 08:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Philippe Vessaire

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

How big a prop do you want to spin? with 258 torque available at
1800, assuming a fairly flat power curve you have 135 HP at 2800
RPM. Not bad for what would likely turn out to be a 300 lb engine
stripped for flight.

Realy, I don't know but I don't think you have 135Hp@2800rpm.
150hp@3600rpm in the car...

For TBO: think Thielert....

258 ft lbs X 2800 rpm = 722400 / 5252= 137.54.
The torque will hold well past 2800 RPM on a turbo Direct Injection
Diesel. Real fat torque curve. I'd be very surprised if there was
less than 145 at 3600 (Math says 176 if the torque holds, I figured
85% of max torque at 3600, for 150 HP)

for typical automotive diesel, the torque curve is flat only in the
range of 1500-2500 rpm.
More rpm less torque...

You may reprogram the ECU and give a flat curve for higher rpms, it's
the way Thielert use to have a 135hp , 1700cm³ engine from a 95hp
automotive engine. Nerver over torque this type of engine but it may
over rev and keep long life.

By
--
Volem rien foutre al païs!
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬
Old March 20th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:26:54 +0100, Philippe Vessaire
wrote:

for typical automotive diesel, the torque curve is flat only in the
range of 1500-2500 rpm.
More rpm less torque...

This is a TURBO diesel, whick keeps the efficiency up for a wider
band. (and it's not hard to change the turbo if you need a different
"map"

Old March 21st 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

schreef:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124553

2L TDIO, All aluminum block/head, boosted, intercooled, 258 pound-feet
of torque @ 1,800 rpm. Probably a terrible engine for a car. But for
an airplane....

Haven't found the weight yet.

Not the first I hear about it. As I understand it is a modification of
their petrol boxers so the weight should be comparable.

I thought GM had killed the "gas engine converted to a diesel" market.

The typical 10,000 mile (or so) TBO didn't go over well with the public.

I've heard many times about how bad they were, but I still don't know the
actual cause or just what tended to break or wear out. The only specific
that I can personally recall was that the air intake placement made it
possible to injest water on some models. I believe that also heard that
the rings and cylinders had a shorter than normal life, anound 120K miles,
but only heard that from one user. So any further enlightenment is
welcome.

Peter

Thanks to those who responded. That was great information about the need
for proper "care and feeding" for any of us who switch to diesels.

Peter

Subaru phase II engine weights [email protected] Home Built 2 May 15th 06 05:04 PM
Aerotow with Diesel engine? Olfert Cleveringa Soaring 44 November 2nd 04 11:22 AM
Diesel engine Bryan Home Built 41 May 1st 04 07:23 PM
experimental engine-subaru Cautious Home Built 0 February 11th 04 06:34 AM