Washout?

Old March 29th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default Washout?

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

I wnet looking for some "how it works" articles...
with varying degrees of sucess.

These were the more interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_generator

http://www.microaero.com/

http://www.zenithair.com/stolch801/d...vg-design.html
Chris Heintz 701 VG page

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...cs/q0009.shtml
Interesting description...

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...004/16E_03.pdf
Mitsubishi is using them on automobiles now!
Interesting paper.

http://www.avweb.com/news/reviews/182564-1.html
The use of vortex generators is nothing new. First used in England, VGs
have been used on transport jets for decades, and on bizjets since Bill
Lear invented them. But historically they were used as an aerodynamic
"band-aid" to deal with localized mach buffet problems at the high end of
the airspeed envelope. MacDonnell Douglas engineers would routinely scoff
at the VGs on Boeing jets and brag, "see, we don't need those things
because we got our aerodynamics right in the first place."

http://cas.umkc.edu/physics/sps/proj...ex/vortex.html
Vortex rings - like smoke rings?
Dolphins make air vortex rings in the water and play games with them.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/.../Micro-VG.html
NASA paper about micro VGs on the FLAPS (way cool)

http://home1.gte.net/pjbemail/VortexGen.html
VGs used to enhance top speed of ice skaters???

http://www.flxsys.com/Applications/A...x%20Generator/
ACTIVE (dynamic) VGs developed for the Air Force?

http://www.physorg.com/news85159467.html
Silly things are even being used under water...

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Thanks, Richard,

You really found a bunch of info and it looks like I have some reading ahead
of me.

BTW, at first glance, it really does look like vortex generators may be a
real solution to a lot of problems including both the issue of stall
charistics at the beginning of this thread and also the possibility of
allowing higher wing loading for some LSA and Ultralights--where a reduction
in wing size would make the weight limits a lot easier to meet.

Peter