German RT

Old April 18th 05, 11:10 AM

Default German RT

Hello, Goetentag,

I'm planning to do a trip to Germany.
Did that a couple of times before but I restricted my airfields to the
ones that has English as RT too. Now I like to go to some small fields.

I've the official German RT stuff from the internet and can memorize
the phrases but I'm not sure if that is enough.
Do they stick to the official phrases or is it more common to add some
extra talk that is not so official.

The few times I listend to German radio I was able to understand what
they were saying.

My German is slightly less hopeless than my French and it worked there.

Any info would be helpfull.

-Kees

Old April 18th 05, 12:30 PM
Patrick Mayer

IMHO you have to have a German Radio Operator's Permit in order to talk
German on the radio. English is OK with your U.S. certificate, of course.

Patrick

Old April 18th 05, 12:35 PM
Stefan

Patrick Mayer wrote:

English is OK with your U.S. certificate, of course.

If there were not that little problem that on smaller places, they might
not understand English.

Stefan
Old April 18th 05, 12:49 PM

Well, I'm Dutch so is my license.
But my RT is English only.
And my plane has a German registration.
To make it even more international, it is build in France.

Thanks for the warning.

A bit of a pity, I like small fields with short runways, you have lots
of these.

-Kees

Old April 18th 05, 01:01 PM

Having fun in Germany is no problem, certainly with that excellent beer
you guys have.
That is after the flying off course :-)

-Kees

Old April 18th 05, 01:44 PM
Markus Voget

I'm planning to do a trip to Germany.
Did that a couple of times before but I restricted my airfields to the
ones that has English as RT too. Now I like to go to some small fields.

At my uncontrolled home field (EDRT), I have overheard many times English
transmissions in between the usual German stuff. The "tower" personnel
seemed to switch quite effortlessly between languages. At times, I have
personally used English to make myself understood to the other pilot
sharing the sky with me.

I've the official German RT stuff from the internet and can memorize
the phrases but I'm not sure if that is enough.
Do they stick to the official phrases or is it more common to add some
extra talk that is not so official.

It can get non-standard occasionally but most of the time you should be
able to get along with standard phraseology. When in doubt, you could
always try English even if this is not published. Chances are you will
get a useful reply almost everywhere.

Pay close attention to the published traffic patterns. These often have
to do with noise complaints from neighbors phoning in to the airport. For
example, if you cut the pattern too close at EDRT (and thus overfly a
certain village), you can expect to be chewed out over the radio, either
in German or English depending on the mood of the "controller".

The few times I listend to German radio I was able to understand what
they were saying.

That should be a good basis. Fly safely, and have fun!

Greetings,
Markus

Old April 18th 05, 06:00 PM
Paul

Hi,

I fly and operate parachute aircraft out of Bad Lippspringe near Paderborn.
English is used throughout and invariably all the controllers are excellent.
You will not have a problem. Enjoy!

Paul

ups.com...

Old April 19th 05, 04:09 AM
G. Sylvester

Grus di.... (ok, that isn't even German ;-) )

VFR-only operators aren't even required to know
English phraseology,....

I can't say definitely but I thought all communication at
night is to be English only. From my very limited experience
in Germany and from what I understand, the English used is
'by the book.' Everything is formal pre-determined phrases
and nothing more so 'blabbering' over the radio won't happen.

Gerald