Anyone know much about the Odyssey dry cell batteries?

Old March 21st 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Sliker

Default Anyone know much about the Odyssey dry cell batteries?

I'm thinking of using their biggest one, rated at 925 amps to crank my
IO-540 300hp engine. I'm wondering if they are the same type of
construction as the old dry cell flashlight batteries? The type that
had that black carbon inside, which are still sold as "heavy duty" D
cells, ect. The only downside I remember about them is if a
flashlight were left on by accident, and when they fully discharged,
they would then leak a messy substance and almost ruin whatever they
were in. And when they got too old they'd do the same thing. I just
wonder if those Odyssey batteries would do that. It would really be a
mess in the airplane if they did. I like the idea of their much longer
shelf and service life. I checked Bob Nuckolls site, but there's
nothing there about them. And my hard copy of his old Aeroelectric
connection was just starting to mention the RG batteries when it went
out of press and switched to a web based system. I think the aviation
dry-cell's weren't around then. I'm wondering if they need that 13.8
charging volts like the gel cells need, or if they aren't so
demanding.
Rich
Old March 21st 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Drew Dalgleish

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:25:51 -0400, Sliker
wrote:

[...]

I have one in my plane for about the last 3 years. It's not a dry cell
like a flashlight battery. It's a lead acid battery with just enough
acid to do the job without any liquid. Mine is a PC 625 and it cranks
my 0-320 rebel just fine. I didn't change anything on my alternator.
Old March 21st 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Mar 21, 10:25*am, Sliker wrote:
[...]

I have been running one of these,

,http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...cts/redtop.php

in my V-8 Ford homebuilt and am amazed at its performance. Been 4
years, hundreds of starts. Anywhere from + 95f down to -35f. The
thing is the best battery I have ever used.

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

Old March 22nd 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Sliker

Thanks for the info, I looked them up on Bob Nuckolls Matronics
website, and found some info he wrote a while ago about the Odyssey
dry cells. He claims they are nothing but RG batteries that have been
tweeked for deep cycles, which isn't really needed in Aviation uses.
More for Marine. He didn't mention why their shelf life is longer.
But then, maybe they are no better than other RG batteries in that
department. He claims calling them "dry cells" is pretty much a play
on words. It sure did mislead me. Actually, their calling their
produce a Dry Cell, when it's nothing but an RG is bascially false
advertising. Now I'm not so sure I want one of those, any more than
other RG offerrings.

Old March 22nd 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Skrud wrote:
They are AGM batteries and will not leak if ruptured.

Get youself that and a Battery Tender Plus and you're good to go.

"Sliker" wrote in message
[...]

They are nothing similar to the old dry cell batteries---their shape is

due to the way they are constructed---two long plates with the active
ingredients
smeared on 'em then rolled up to give close spacing inside---they have a
good High cranking amps vs weight ratio. you can go to their site & get
a complete low down on 'em. jerry

Old March 22nd 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

wrote:

[...]

I agree with Drew. I've had one(PC625) in my Safari helicopter for more
than 8 yrs and thought it needed replacing. Turned out just a charge seemed
to do it. I would never go back to a Concorde.

Stu Fields