Washout?

Old March 23rd 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Washout?

I picked up a project that was supposed to be built with 1.5 degrees
of washout towards the end of the wings. The builder unfortunately
built them without washout, because while his workmanship was actually
quite good he was worried he wouldn't be able to match the wings and
one would drop in a stall.

Before I rebuild the wings, what disadvantages am I looking at keeping
things as they are besides the whole wing stalling at once? Any other
aerodynamical problems? And could I cheat a fix by using VGs on the
outer part of the wing?

Old March 23rd 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

wrote in message
I picked up a project that was supposed to be built with 1.5 degrees
of washout towards the end of the wings. The builder unfortunately
built them without washout, because while his workmanship was actually
quite good he was worried he wouldn't be able to match the wings and
one would drop in a stall.

Before I rebuild the wings, what disadvantages am I looking at keeping
things as they are besides the whole wing stalling at once? Any other
aerodynamical problems? And could I cheat a fix by using VGs on the
outer part of the wing?

Or put a "triangle" shaped addition on the leading edge of the wing's root,
to trip that portion into stall, first.

That's all anyone is after with washout. Keep the outer portion flying,
while the root is stalling.

If it were me, I would probably do a bit of both! g

Advantages of keeping the wing with no washout is that the whole wing will
be lifting at cruise, instead of throwing away part of the outer wing's lift
with added washout.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 24th 08, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:15:35 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

big john and morgans have it with the triangular strips.

you just tape them on and keep shortening them until you have the
stall chracteristics you need. then you replace the temporaries with
permanent ones.
make both sides identical.
work out where the 3 degree angle of attack neutral point is on the
leading edge and stick them there.

Stealth Pilot
Old March 24th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

The planform of the wing has a huge effect on stall behavior.
If this is a rectangular wing, like a Cub or Champ, washout isn't
usually necessary since the stall will start at the root anyway. If
it's tapered or elliptical, washout is necessary to get the stall
started at the root. It will start around midspan otherwise, and
aileron effectiveness at low speed is lost. Some aerobatic airplanes
have tapered or elliptical wings with no washout, but they're not for
the average weekend flier. The stall characteristics can be very
abrupt to get quick snap rolls and so forth.

Dan
Old March 24th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

wrote in message

The planform of the wing has a huge effect on stall behavior.
If this is a rectangular wing, like a Cub or Champ, washout isn't
usually necessary since the stall will start at the root anyway. If
it's tapered or elliptical, washout is necessary to get the stall
started at the root. It will start around midspan otherwise, and
aileron effectiveness at low speed is lost. Some aerobatic airplanes
have tapered or elliptical wings with no washout, but they're not for
the average weekend flier. The stall characteristics can be very
abrupt to get quick snap rolls and so forth.

Even with washout, the Emeraude (elliptical planform - 23012 airfoil) will
stall fairly abruptly. Like, at 50 you're flying - at 49 you're not.

Rich S.

Old March 24th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Rich S. wrote:
wrote in message

The planform of the wing has a huge effect on stall behavior.
If this is a rectangular wing, like a Cub or Champ, washout isn't
usually necessary since the stall will start at the root anyway. If
it's tapered or elliptical, washout is necessary to get the stall
started at the root. It will start around midspan otherwise, and
aileron effectiveness at low speed is lost. Some aerobatic airplanes
have tapered or elliptical wings with no washout, but they're not for
the average weekend flier. The stall characteristics can be very
abrupt to get quick snap rolls and so forth.

Even with washout, the Emeraude (elliptical planform - 23012 airfoil) will
stall fairly abruptly. Like, at 50 you're flying - at 49 you're not.

Rich S.

That's a function of the wing planform - not the airfoil.

Old March 25th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Rich S. wrote:
Even with washout, the Emeraude (elliptical planform - 23012 airfoil)
will stall fairly abruptly. Like, at 50 you're flying - at 49 you're not.

Rich S.

That's a function of the wing planform - not the airfoil.

That's what I said.

The info on airfoil was for comparison with the "Hershey bar" RV wing - the
same airfoil - different planform.

Rich S.