Symbol question: Lake Huron sectional

Old July 16th 05, 10:35 PM
David Kazdan

Default Symbol question: Lake Huron sectional

South side, towards the west, W83 deg 09 min, N45 deg 08 min, just above
the box for the Alpena VORTAC. Is that a shipwreck with mast sticking
up, or what? Seems that the water would be too deep there for a mast to
be visible. I can't remember ever seeing that symbol before. Anyone?

David

Old July 16th 05, 11:10 PM
David Kazdan

Sure enough, page 5, "wreck, exposed." The publication's is pointing
one way, the chart's, the other...

Thanks, Rod.

David

Old July 17th 05, 12:07 AM
Doug Semler

In ,
David Kazdan slavered, and posted this:
South side, towards the west, W83 deg 09 min, N45 deg 08 min, just above
the box for the Alpena VORTAC. Is that a shipwreck with mast sticking
up, or what? Seems that the water would be too deep there for a mast to
be visible. I can't remember ever seeing that symbol before. Anyone?

Ahh...Thunder Bay....quite a few wrecks off there (something like 115 i
think).

BTW: The nautical chart has a RACON at that wreck site, the Nordmeer, and it
sits on a boulder shelf at about 6 or 7 fathoms. The USCG has a lighted
buoy outside the boulder shelf that boats are SUPPOSED to travel outside
of...

From http://michiganshipwrecks.com/thunderbay.htm#Nordmeer:
Nordmeer was a steel steamer that run aground on the rocks. A great deal of
the superstructure is above the water. The hull is still intact and the
engine is in about 40' of water. Next to the Nordmeer also lies a wooden
barge. The wreck is located 7 miles NE of Thunder Bay Island.

--
Doug Semler
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~doug_semler

Old July 17th 05, 12:44 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"David Kazdan" wrote in message

South side, towards the west, W83 deg 09 min, N45 deg 08 min, just above
the box for the Alpena VORTAC. Is that a shipwreck with mast sticking up,
or what? Seems that the water would be too deep there for a mast to be
visible. I can't remember ever seeing that symbol before. Anyone?

The symbol means exposed wreck.

Old July 17th 05, 05:33 AM
Jay Honeck

Ahh...Thunder Bay....quite a few wrecks off there (something like 115 i
think).

Flying down the Door Peninsula a few days ago, from Mackinac Island to
Ephraim, we crossed "Death's Door" -- the gap between Washington Island and
the peninsula.

It was sobering to think of the hundreds (thousands?) of lives lost in those
treacherous waters, while we flew serenely overhead in a matter of minutes.
Having ridden a boat across that gap -- in November -- (and believing
fervently that I was about to die), I can sympathize with those folks...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA