looking for non-vector DP near New York

Old January 18th 04, 02:58 AM
Roy Smith

Default looking for non-vector DP near New York

I'm learning the CNX-80 my club just installed. One of today's tasks
was to load and fly a DP to make sure I knew how that worked.

Unfortunately, at my home airport (White Plains), when you go to load
the Westchester One, you discover there are no DP's available in the
database. OK, we headed over to POU to try the Dutchess Four. Nope,
that's not available in the database either.

Studying the manual later, I discovered (and I guess this makes sense)
that the database does not contain vector DP's, which both of the above
are. So I started browsing nearby airports, and discovered that every
DP I looked at in the area is "expect vectors to departure fix". The
only exception I found was the Coastal One out of Hartford, which is
full of scary phrases like "flight level"; the CNX-80 doesn't mind, but
the poor Bonanza it's attached to would have trouble keeping up.

So, does anybody know any example of a non-vector DP in the New York
area which we could use for CNX-80 training?
Old January 18th 04, 05:36 AM
Peter R.

Roy Smith wrote:

So, does anybody know any example of a non-vector DP in the New York
area which we could use for CNX-80 training?

How about the Teterboro 5 departure for KTEB?

diagram:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?F19B43917

text description:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?M2DB41917

MY KLN94 had this departure in it, so I would suspect that the CNX80 has
it, too.

--
Peter

Old January 18th 04, 12:50 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:58:15 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:

I'm learning the CNX-80 my club just installed. One of today's tasks
was to load and fly a DP to make sure I knew how that worked.

Do you have a syllabus for learning this box? I'm in the process of having
one installed, too.

Old January 18th 04, 03:35 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Peter R. wrote:
How about the Teterboro 5 departure for KTEB?
[...]
MY KLN94 had this departure in it, so I would suspect that the CNX80 has
it, too.

Hmmm, that's an interesting one. I'll have to check the database next
time I'm in the plane. What does the KLN-94 do with this procedure?
Most of it is headings to fly, and ends in "expect vectors to..."

How does the GPS represent things like "heading 280 ... until crossing
the TEB R-250"?
Old January 18th 04, 04:10 PM
John R. Copeland

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message =
=20
Do you have a syllabus for learning this box? I'm in the process of =

having
one installed, too.
=20
=20

Ron:
The biggest factor in learning the CNX80 is knowing the pushbutton =
menus.
The CNX80 manual does not contain a menu summary.
I found it immensely helpful to make up a summary of my own.
If you wish, I could e-mail you a copy of mine.
It's good for the software version 1.20,
but probably will also apply to the imminent update for the date-bug =
fix.

I don't know whether any menus will change in version 2.0, due in March.
---JRC---
Old January 18th 04, 04:24 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:58:15 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:

I'm learning the CNX-80 my club just installed. One of today's tasks
was to load and fly a DP to make sure I knew how that worked.

Do you have a syllabus for learning this box? I'm in the process of having
one installed, too.

Unfortunately, no. It's one of the things I hope to develop as I learn
it myself. I would certainly start by ignoring the GPS functions and
learn the basics:

Comm: How to manually enter frequencies. How to adjust the volume
(don't laugh, we got caught by this the first time out; had the volume
set to zero and couldn't figure out why ground didn't seem to be hearing
our taxi requests). Once you are sure you know how to manually enter a
frequency (so you've got something to fall back on if all else fails),
then you want to explore the database functions, so you can pull freqs
out of the database (the keystroke series: Nearest-Airport-Info-Freqs
will become your friend).

Xponder: how to enter a squawk code and ident.

After that, I'd move onto the GPS stuff. First make sure you know how
to go direct to a random waypoint, then move onto entering flight plans.
I wouldn't touch approaches until you were sure you had the flight plan
stuff down pat.

The last thing I would do is get into how the Nav radio works. The
primary thing here is to make sure you know how to enter a localizer
freq, ident it, and switch the CDI from GPS to NAV mode.

I've got about 15 hours behind the box at this point. The first 6 were
my own checkout (I was getting checked out in a new plane at the same
time I was learning the CNX-80, so there was a double workload).
Perhaps it's a indictment of flight instructing in general, but by the
10 hour point, I already had 2 hours teaching it. I'm getting pretty
good with complex flight plans and flying stand-alone GPS approaches,
but I'm still getting caught up on occasion by unexpected problems in
unusual situations and I'm far from done exploring all the features.

We've got a pretty nice setup. CNX-80, SL-30, HSI, and Century-2000
2-axis autopilot. I'm just getting into learning how to fly coupled
ILS's (which has nothing to do with the CNX-80, per se). Now all we
need to do is add a turbo, oxygen, de-ice, stormscope, and a relief
tube, and we've have a really useful airplane!

Old January 18th 04, 05:07 PM
ISLIP

Sky Acres (44N), Kingston (20N),Poughkeepsie(POU) Stormville(N69)

All up in your area

John
Old January 18th 04, 06:40 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:10:12 GMT, "John R. Copeland"
wrote:

Ron:
The biggest factor in learning the CNX80 is knowing the pushbutton menus.
The CNX80 manual does not contain a menu summary.
I found it immensely helpful to make up a summary of my own.
If you wish, I could e-mail you a copy of mine.
It's good for the software version 1.20,
but probably will also apply to the imminent update for the date-bug fix.

I don't know whether any menus will change in version 2.0, due in March.
---JRC---

I would appreciate a copy, John.

If you could email it to me at:

ron
rosenfeld
(at symbol)
acadia
(dot symbol)
net

all run together, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old January 18th 04, 06:45 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:24:40 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

[...]

Those sound like good ideas, although I'd probably want to get the ordinary
NAV down earlier. I've been using the CD that comes with the unit, but I'm
still waiting to get my a/c back.

I won't have the slaved transponder, so that'll be one level of complexity
I can avoid g.

I'm also doing some heavy reading about GPS approaches. Not all are
intuitively obviously

For example, according to the AIM, if you are in the right base or left
base areas, you need to start the approach at the IAF associated with that
side. That would seem to preclude a situation where, if you are over the
airport when cleared, you could fly to the central IF/IAF (the straight-in
sector IAF) and execute a charted procedure turn.