Fabric covering processes

Old January 29th 04, 05:23 AM
Jerry Guy

Default Fabric covering processes

I'm working on a fabric repair on a Pitts, but I'm unsure as to which
process was used. I'm familiar with dope processes. This material
appears to have no base tint to the fabric (green nitrate/red
polyfiber). There is no silver UV coating. There is a white/light grey
base coat and a very glossy paint/color coat. This stuff is very
tenaciously adhered to the fabric. None of the common shop solvents will
soften the paint.
Two previous owners swear the stuff is Superflite, the logbook shows
Airtech. Know of a way to positvely ID what I have here? Thanks

Jerry

Old January 29th 04, 01:46 PM
Steve Beaver

The light gray coating and very glossy top coat sound very much like the
Airtech.process.

. ..

Old January 29th 04, 07:49 PM
Steve Beaver

Here is the website: http://www.airtechcoatings.com/fabriccovering.html

Airtech primner is amazing stuff. When applied to the fabric, it almost
feels like a thin sheet of rubber.

My only small problem with the process (I tried it about 8 years ago) is
that products (even the adhesive) are not supplied in the required
viscosity. Everything must have thinner added to it before you can use it.

Other than that, I was really impressed.

"Steve Beaver" wrote in message
The light gray coating and very glossy top coat sound very much like the
Airtech.process.

. ..

Fabric Work Doug Home Built 9 January 26th 04 04:31 AM
fabric and tube by the ocean. Ed Bryant Home Built 5 December 6th 03 08:00 PM
Next Time I Do Fabric Work on an Airplane Larry Smith Home Built 11 November 22nd 03 07:23 AM
Soliciting Testimonials on Covering Systems Larry Smith Home Built 5 August 18th 03 09:24 AM
Fabric Covered Dreams Jim Austin Home Built 4 August 13th 03 03:32 PM