CNN and Qatar Airways: Taking fake news to new heights

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 13th 17, 12:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

Default CNN and Qatar Airways: Taking fake news to new heights

Also posted to non-binary NG's
For many years, commercial time on CNN International has been filled largely
with advertisements for the tourist boards and state-owned airlines of
various Muslim countries. Given CNN's unusually friendly coverage of these
countries, and its disinclination to mention Islam when covering such topics
as jihadist terrorism and immigrant crime in Europe, it is hard not to view
CNN's willingness to run these commercials with a jaundiced eye.

The TV commercial begins with a shot of the sky, above the clouds, and with
the voice of a British male: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mA7v_qFAeI

"The sky. There should be no borders up here. Only horizons. As an airline,
we don't believe in boundaries. We believe in bringing people together."

We cut to pictures of people hugging at airports, showing affection for one
another.

"The world's better that way. It is a right for all of us to go where we
need to go. To feel the things we want to feel. To see the people we want to
see."

A shot of an airplane, and views of the earth from the sky.

"That's why we'll continue to fly the skies. Providing you with everything
we can. And treating everyone how they deserve to be treated. We do this
because we know that travel goes beyond borders and prejudice."

Back to shot of people together, smiling, walking here and there, in the
city and countryside.

"That travel teaches compassion. That travel is a necessity. That travel is
a right for all. Remember that this world is all of ours to explore. And
it's a strange thing for us to be apart."

The commercial is in heavy rotation on CNN International, which I've been
watching more than usual lately because of the coverage of hurricanes.

It is a commercial for Qatar Airways, which is, not surprisingly, owned by
the government of Qatar.

For CNN, in a sense, this commercial is nothing new. For many years,
commercial time on CNN International has been filled largely with
advertisements for the tourist boards and state-owned airlines of various
Muslim countries. Given CNN's unusually friendly coverage of these
countries, and its disinclination to mention Islam when covering such topics
as jihadist terrorism and immigrant crime in Europe, it is hard not to view
CNN's willingness to run these commercials with a jaundiced eye.

One is reminded, for example, of how Lyndon B. Johnson, during his years in
Congress, bought Texas radio and TV stations and pressured companies that
needed political favors to advertise on them. It was an out-and-out quid pro
quo, and it made LBJ rich: http://tinyurl.com/y7tyz8fy

Of course, what CNN has to offer is not political favors but positive
coverage.

Still, CNN's readiness to run the new Qatar Airways commercial takes the
network's shamelessness to a whole new level. This is -- or is supposed to
be -- a news network, and yet it is regularly running an ad in which Qatar
Airways, and consequently its owner, the government of Qatar, profess to
believe that it is "a right for all of us to go where we need to go" and
"feel the things we want to feel." The airline, and the government, claim to
oppose "prejudice" and to like "compassion."

You would never know from this commercial that it was paid for by a
government that follows sharia law. In Qatar, apostasy from Islam is
punishable by death. Adultery between a Muslim woman and an infidel male is
punishable by death. Homosexuality is punishable by up to five years in
prison. The consumption of alcohol is punishable by flogging (although
luxury hotels are permitted to sell drinks to foreigners). Tourists who do
not dress modestly, or who engage in displays of public affection, risk
ending up in prison. The testimony of female witnesses is often refused in
court -- and when permitted, is considered to be worth half the testimony of
a man.

There is more, much more, about Qatar that makes the Qatar Airways
commercial a masterpiece of hypocrisy. CNN is aware of every last bit of it.
And yet, CNN International is currently exposing its viewers on a regular
basis to a commercial that is nothing short of grotesquely mendacious
propaganda.

Or, as a certain president would put it, very fake news.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1...-qatar-airways

Related: Delta Air Lines lashes out against Emirates, Etihad and Qatar
Airways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAv8L2ki8BU

Emirates vs. Etihad vs. Qatar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--M-w7D5N9w

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version