Any news from Chile

Old March 2nd 10, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

Default Any news from Chile

Just a few months ago, many of us around the world enjoyed the
coverage of the 3rd FAI World Sailplane Grand Prix from the Club de
Planeadores de Vitacura in Santiago, Chile.

Any word on how the club and its members have faired in the recent
earthquake.

Our thoughts and prayers are with our fellow pilots and their
families.

Bob
Old March 2nd 10, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Mar 1, 7:14*pm, Bob Gibbons wrote:
Just a few months ago, many of us around the world enjoyed the
coverage of the 3rd FAI World Sailplane Grand Prix from the Club de
Planeadores de Vitacura in Santiago, Chile.

Any word on how the club and its members have faired in the recent
earthquake.

Our thoughts and prayers are with our fellow pilots and their
families.

Bob

Our thoughts indeed.

News reports suggest that Santiago wasn't as badly damaged as the
coastal cities to the SW but I'd like to hear our soaring friends are
OK.
Old March 2nd 10, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JMR

On Mar 1, 7:14*pm, Bob Gibbons wrote:
Just a few months ago, many of us around the world enjoyed the
coverage of the 3rd FAI World Sailplane Grand Prix from the Club de
Planeadores de Vitacura in Santiago, Chile.

Any word on how the club and its members have faired in the recent
earthquake.

Our thoughts and prayers are with our fellow pilots and their
families.

Bob

I have been in contact with several of my glider buddies and all have
seem to faired well. I didn't ask about the condition of the club, but
that wasn't my concern on initial contact. They are all "shaken" up
pretty good but no serious damage. As of yesterday Santiago
International airport was still closed. The terminal suffered some
damage and they are not sure about whether or not the underground
fueling system has been compromised. So no jet fuel yet. We have 2
crews down there and they say it's going OK, the did have to leave our
regular crew hotel and go another hotel.
Justin
currently in Montivideo,Uruguay
Old March 2nd 10, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

I just had a quick look at the website of the Club de Planeadores de
Vitacura in Santiago (http://www.planeadores.cl/), they have posted a
message that the club facilities survived the earthquake without
structural damage:

Informamos a nuestros socios que, luego de una inspección detallada,
se determinó que el Club no tiene daños estructurales producto del
lamentable terremoto del sábado 27 de marzo en la madrugada. Esperamos
que todos ustedes y sus familias estén en bien.

English translation:

We would like to let our members know that, after a detailed
inspection, it was determined that the Club has not sustained any
structural damage as a result of the terrible earthquake during the
morning of Saturday, March 27th. We hope that all of you and your
families are well.

Markus Graeber
Aeroclub de Colombia

3rd FAI Grand Prix Chile [email protected] Soaring 11 February 11th 10 05:24 AM
3 FAI Grand Prix, Chile ASM Soaring 0 January 9th 10 10:45 PM
3rd FAI World Sailplane GP final in Santiago, Chile Charlie Papa Soaring 10 January 5th 10 02:09 AM
Soaring in Chile [email protected] Soaring 3 February 22nd 09 12:43 AM
The GP in Chile cernauta Soaring 0 January 7th 09 01:51 AM