Aviation Story

Old January 28th 04, 10:06 PM
Errol Groff

What is the difference between a fairy tale and a sea story?

A fairy tail always starts "Once upon a time"

A sea story always starts with "No ****...this really happened!"

Errol Groff
EAA 60159

On 24 Jan 2004 23:39:01 GMT, (Veeduber) wrote:

Prior to departing for Vietnam a shipmate had to go through the E&E course they
were running south of Warner Springs in the hills behind Sandy Eggo.

Second night of the course, when everyone had been without food for 24 hours
and the instructors were just about to round them all up and begin their
bull**** 'interrogations' an idiot driving C-120 made a low pass over a
particular place and kicked out a seabag filled with Big Macs & fries.

Or so I heard :-)

-R.S.Hoover

PS -- The trick is not to pack them too tightly. Duct tape the burgers & fries
in individual packs wrapped with foam or whatever then pack them into a nylon
net laundry bag, but not too tightly, then put the laundry bag int othe seabag
with lots of crushables around it and on either end.

Takes two to tango -- pilot & a kicker. And it helps if you pull the pax-side
seat.

I understand you should make the drop just as you add power and be ready for
the yaw when the kicker forces the door outboard. You might want to practice
this a few times. Just above a stall, wheels in the weeds, the groceries are
still going to travel about a hundred feet before they hit the ground. I
understand the glider strip at Otay Lakes is good spot for that sort of
practice. Also a handy spot to leave the seat, dress the kicker in a body
harness, etc.

Or was. 1969 or thereabouts. Probably just another of those sea-stories you
hear.

Old January 29th 04, 03:44 AM
Del Rawlins

On 28 Jan 2004 01:06 PM, Errol Groff posted the following:

What is the difference between a fairy tale and a sea story?

A fairy tail always starts "Once upon a time"

A sea story always starts with "No ****...this really happened!"

The version of this that I heard had a bush pilot story starting with
"Now this ain't no bull****!"

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old January 30th 04, 07:39 PM
pacplyer

Hey Corky,

This could only be the tape I heard at WAL systems initial, where
after a complex days of chasing electrons on the MST (classroom
trainer), most of us in the class were losing faith in our ability to
understand Boeing electrical. The instructor detected this with
push-button polling and decided to give us a well-deserved break from
the material. He explained the instructor/student conspiracy, and
then hit the play button. Funniest damn set-up I've ever heard.
"NUMBER TWO! NUMBER TWO! LOOSEN UP… before ya kill us all! NO NO
NO YOU'RE GOING TO CASTRATE NUMBER THREE! BREAK OUT! BREAK OUT YOU
MORON! NO NO NO NOT THAT WAY! Goddamit, I didn't mean missing man
break! Christ sake we'll never make it back to base without killing
those poor ranchers down there…. Tower Wildcat 1 flight of six, ten
miles east please shoot the other five down! SHOOT THEM DOWN, I
SAY!"

Etc, etc.

or something like that... (been 22 years since I heard it)

After we stopped rolling on the ground for several minutes, Joe
Ward(our ground school instructor) explained that this tape was real
and that when the screamer instructor returned to base for debrief the
other instructors converged on him and told him his students were
really other instructors. Joe said: "After he got done listening to
them, he said he didn't believe them!"

pacplyer

(Corky Scott) wrote in message ...
When I was in college I had a friend who's father, he told me, was in
the Army. He said his father had this tape of an incident that
occured at an airbase where there was an infamously nasty instructor.
The instructor apparently delighted in washing out cadets and
humiliating them. It got so bad that the rest of the instructors got
together and planned to teach him a lesson.

They told the cadets to duck out of the way when it was time to board
their trainers and the instructors would get in instead.

This particular flight was supposed to be formation training, so once
they took off, everyone was close at hand in formation.

My friend brought the tape to college to play for me because I
expressed great interest. What I heard next simply cannot be faked.

I heard routine but extremely sarcastic orders and remarks from the
instructor, then the instructor/cadets broke formation and went crazy
around this guy.

They, among other things, boxed him in left, right, vertically and
underneath, with the guy on top inverted. They broke off and barrel
rolled around him and buzzed the field en mass. The screaming coming
from the instructor has to be heard to be believed. At one point I
distinctly heard him, in this indescribably defeated voice, lamely
demanding for the field to shoot them down, all of them.

Like I said, there doesn't seem any way for this to be faked, there
was the sound of snarling engines in the background and this
instructors sounded absolutely hysterical at times as he vainly
attempted to control the airplanes around him.

This probably occured after WWII, perhaps some time in the 50's.

It would be neat to hear that tape again.

Corky Scott

Old January 31st 04, 03:13 AM
Ron Wanttaja

When I was in college I had a friend who's father, he told me, was in
the Army. He said his father had this tape of an incident that
occured at an airbase where there was an infamously nasty instructor.
The instructor apparently delighted in washing out cadets and
humiliating them. It got so bad that the rest of the instructors got
together and planned to teach him a lesson.

Not saying it *didn't* happen, but this is similar, again, to an incident
in one of Dan Gallery's novels. It might be that Gallery heard the story
and fictionalized it, much as he did the one about shining the light at the
train.

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 31st 04, 01:29 PM
Kevin Horton

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:49:42 -0500, jls wrote:

A friend from Texas who worked for the railroad and liked to fly his
supercub along the tracks decided to have a little fun one night. He
flew just off the ground down the tracks and just before he got in sight
of a freight train roaring down the tracks, he turned on his landing
light and proceeded head-on at full speed, headlight to headlight. A
hundred yards or so before the inevitable collision he pulled up and
climbed away, behind the peppy O-235. But by that time the horrified
engineer had locked down the brakes on the train. You should not be
bothered with the details, which were quite messy.

The next day he awoke to find headlines in the local newspaper, "Train
Almost Collides with UFO; Cars Derailed."

Statute of limitations has run, he says, and, "Don't you be gettin' no
ideas."

My uncle Art (since passed on) spent a few years instructing on Harvards
(T-6s for those in the USA) in the RCAF. He told me that he used to enjoy
doing the "fly down the railroad at night and turn on the light thing"
too. He was based in the prairies, so the land was very flat.

Art also told me a story about a time when he saw a farmer on a combine in
a large field. Art flew low over the farmer and blew his hat off. The
farmer stopped, retrieved his hat, and climbed back on the combine. Art
blew his hat off again. When he made the third pass he noted that the
combine was stopped and the farmer seemed to be trying to remove some
jammed wheat with a pitch fork. Just as the Harvard approached the
combine at about 10 ft, the farmer suddenly turned around and threw the
pitch fork at the aircraft. It went right up over the wing. Art didn't
blow hats off any more farmers after that.

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada

Old January 31st 04, 05:25 PM
Corrie

Stu, you familiar with the Cold War Aviation forum on delphi? Lots of
former SAC crews, especially B-36 folks. Some great war stories.

"Stu Fields" wrote in message ...
I was at the "Crash Boat" beach near Ramey AFB in Puerto Rico when a small
group of what turned out to be B-36 crew was making arrangements with a
local to bring food, booze and broads out to "Goat" Island where they were
scheduled,(of course they were not supposed to know when) to be taken out to
the island for a survival practice. You were normally just told upon
landing that you had just crashed on "Goat" island and what ever gear you
had with you was what you got to take. These guys were ahead of the game
for sure.
Stu Fields ex SAC:

Old February 2nd 04, 02:20 AM
Roger Halstead

Many years ago, and I do mean many!

I was a teen ager out on the Farmall A, cultivating beans the first
time through.

I don't think there is anything in this world that takes less brains
than cultivating beans the first time through. You just sit there,
"in the heat", with the tractor idling along, and keeping the rows
between the shoes.

It was about mid afternoon and I had been doing this exciting job
since day break. All of a sudden my day dreaming was interrupted by
this tremendous noise. I whipped around to see an F-80 pulling up with
one whale of a cloud of dust billowing up behind me. I was headed
north, he was headed east. Couldn't have been much more than a couple
of wing spans behind me. I was still fascinated, seeing him climb out
like that when I realized the tractor was still moving, but who knew
where.

I had to get off the tractor, and count rows to get back where I
belonged. Worst case of "cultivator blight" I ever saw.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old February 2nd 04, 03:59 AM
Morgans

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
[...]

So does anyone know what the correct separation is between a F-80 and a
tractor, for wake turbulence? g
--
Jim in NC

---

Old February 2nd 04, 12:50 PM
Corky Scott

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 03:13:43 GMT, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

When I was in college I had a friend who's father, he told me, was in
the Army. He said his father had this tape of an incident that
occured at an airbase where there was an infamously nasty instructor.
The instructor apparently delighted in washing out cadets and
humiliating them. It got so bad that the rest of the instructors got
together and planned to teach him a lesson.

Not saying it *didn't* happen, but this is similar, again, to an incident
in one of Dan Gallery's novels. It might be that Gallery heard the story
and fictionalized it, much as he did the one about shining the light at the
train.

Ron Wanttaja

Could be Ron, but it would have been tough for a non actor to produce
the multiplicity of voices and the incredible range of emotions I
heard from the panicked instructor. Remember, it was an audio tape,
not something I read.

Corky Scott