One wing F-15

Old May 2nd 04, 10:19 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:H34lc.14243$I%1.1072718@attbi_s51...
Photos and story he

Wow. That plane should not have flown.

Fortunately, they forgot to tell the plane that.

Old May 2nd 04, 11:35 PM
lowflyer

Big John wrote in message . ..
Norman and all

Years ago a story went around about a Navy pilot that forgot to unfold
his wings and took of (maybe at Pensacola???) He got airborne and flew
a closed pattern and landed with no damage to airplane or himself

Big John
`

I read that this happened in Vietnam, the plane an A-1 Skyraider. My
memory is that the source was good, but I certainly cannot vouch for
the source now.
Old May 3rd 04, 12:50 AM
vincent p. norris

Years ago a story went around about a Navy pilot that forgot to unfold
his wings and took of (maybe at Pensacola???) He got airborne and flew
a closed pattern and landed with no damage to airplane or himself

Big John
`

I read that this happened in Vietnam, the plane an A-1 Skyraider.

I heard that it was an AD-1, long before Viet Nam and before its
designation was changed to A-1. The gives some idea of the time
period. I may even have heard the story while I was still in the
Marines, which would place it prior to July 1954. Sorry, I have no
other details.

The AD's wings folded fairly far from the fuselage, so there was a
considerable amount of wing "unfolded."

vince norris
Old May 3rd 04, 01:49 AM
MLenoch

Famous incident of an F-8 Crusader from Aviano, Italy. It took off and
recovered with no damage. Back in the late 1950s or early 60s.
VL
Old May 3rd 04, 01:51 AM
Richard Hertz

It was in a book I recently read - a compilation of flying stories. I think
it was a skyraider and it was during Korean war/action/whatever the hell
term they use.

amazing.

Old May 3rd 04, 04:30 PM
Michael Nouak

A picture is worth a thousand words:

http://mofak.com/Night_Infamy.htm

Note reference to _several_ wings-up flying incidents.

Mike

"Big John" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Norman and all

Years ago a story went around about a Navy pilot that forgot to unfold
his wings and took of (maybe at Pensacola???) He got airborne and flew
a closed pattern and landed with no damage to airplane or himself
(except for his brown underwear).

I can't vouch for the truth of this story but was told in Hanger
Flying Groups as an honest to god event.

Maybe some other old timers may remember the story and can add more
details (type A/C, place, date) and validate it?

In any event, makes a good story after a long evening athe bar )

Big John

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````

On Sun, 2 May 2004 07:00:04 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio

Old May 3rd 04, 04:43 PM
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article ,
Thomas J. Paladino Jr. wrote:

"Pepperoni" wrote in message
Photos and story he
http://www.f-16.net/library/stories/midair.html

I love that story! Very inspirational.

It really shows what a good pilot can do even in the most difficult
situations.

Yeah. First rule of emergency handling: Keep flying the airplane.

Tune out distractions, like the IP in the back seat soiling himself
because he can *see* the changed wing planform.

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/
Old May 3rd 04, 10:00 PM
EDR

In article , Michael Houghton
wrote:

Tune out distractions, like the IP in the back seat soiling himself
because he can *see* the changed wing planform.

Hence the term "WIZZO".
Old May 3rd 04, 10:45 PM
Robert M. Gary

Wow, I'm glad we don't have pilots like that in the U.S. Its not nice
to disobey orders like "eject". He certainly would have been much
safter to have ejected than trying to control that airplane at low
altitude and then trying to land at 260 knots. He must watch too many
John Wayne movies.
I wonder if he lost his wings. Destroying two jets in one day probably
doesn't look to good on your record.

EDR wrote in message ...
The History Channel had a program on the F-15 last night
(Friday,040430).
Included was an interview with the Israeli pilot and footage of the
aircraft inbound, on approach and landing.
No other word for it, ... just incredible!

Old May 3rd 04, 11:26 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Wow, I'm glad we don't have pilots like that in the U.S. Its not nice
to disobey orders like "eject".

Well, he outranked the instructor, so you can't really say he disobeyed orders.
Superior officers cannot be ordered to do something by an inferior.

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.