Land Out Kit

Old September 10th 13, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Default Land Out Kit

I am in the process of creating a Land Out Kit for my glider.

Does anyone know of an already developed list? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old September 10th 13, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:18:35 AM UTC-4, MNLou wrote:
Any suggestions?

I was inspired by Frank Paynter's mountain top saga to upgrade my flying shoes as follows:

http://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Speedc...running+sh oe

Layers of protective clothing...

Polypropylene Thermal Underwear is very light and compact but it provides a lot of warmth. Stay away from cotton because it might get wet.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-High-Per...rmal+underwear

A hat with ear flaps.

Gloves.

Lightweight combination wind and rain shell (top and bottom).

Old September 10th 13, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
V1[_3_]

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:18:35 AM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:
I am in the process of creating a Land Out Kit for my glider.
Does anyone know of an already developed list? Any suggestions?

There have been prior ras discussions of landout kits, and there are several online resources, so not much I could add to that.

A few tips I could add are not equipment related, but planning related. I carry two printed pages. One is a checklist for myself, given that it's easy to forget things in unusual circumstance. The other is a form letter to leave at my plane if I have to hike off – it's in a plastic page protector with some wing tape and string I can use to attach it.

Hope this helps,
- Frank

My checklist page:

Check ELB to ensure landing did not activate

If possibly observed by others, call 911 to advise emergency is over (was an emergency landing [gives me rights to land on private property], but no injury, no damage to aircraft, no damage to man-made structures on ground)

Gather: GPS position, place to meet crew

Comm options in order: cell, cell 911, cell text, bystander, radio relay,
SPOT SOS, ELB, PLB
For radio relay: 121.5 is emergency channel
SAR 122.9, 123.100, 120.850, 130.150
Comm airlines: 129.2, 129.5, 129.55, 130.9, 130.95, 131.925, 129.250
ATC: Houston Sealy 132.15, Houston College Station 120.4, Houston Austin 125.65, Houston San Antonio 132.8, Fort Worth Waco 133.3

If racing, call (cell phone, text msg., or radio relay) race retrieve desk:
- landing card info
- aero retrieve, ground retrieve, or Standby
- other information as specified for a specific race

Contact ground crew
- retrieve description
- phone number & location calling from
- plane location, meeting location, schedule to meet
- car/trailer instructions

Secure Plane
Tie-downs, canopy cover, remove pitot & TE
If leave plane:
Leave note with date/time, intentions, any local contacts that I’ve already made, alternate contacts.
Take survey tape, maps, phone, wallet
Find Landowner (homes, cars, call Sheriff)
Permission to retrieve
Reimbursement for damages
[ my insurance details]

Notify race retrieve desk when united with retrieve crew

My pre-printed form notice with fill-in-the-blanks is below:

Notice to landowner & others

I made an emergency landing on this property on

date __________________, time _____________ .

Pilot: ___ No injuries Other: _____________________

Aircraft: ___ No obvious damage Other: ____________

Damage to structures on the ground: ___ No ___ Yes

I’ve gone to seek assistance to bring my aircraft trailer in order to disassemble the plane and remove it as promptly as possible. I expect to return for disassembly later today.

I have attempted to secure the aircraft to prevent damage. Do not remove any aircraft tie-downs, attempt to move the plane, or disturb any contents.

I or my insurance company will reimburse any damage done to this property (crops, structures, etc.) due to my landing, or due to the access needed to remove the aircraft.

My contact information [my name, phone, address]

Alternate contact(s) and additional information:
Old September 10th 13, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ralph Jones[_3_]

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 06:18:35 -0700 (PDT), MNLou
wrote:

I am in the process of creating a Land Out Kit for my glider.

Does anyone know of an already developed list? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5qqfsQGYus
Old September 11th 13, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GC[_2_]

On 11/09/2013 00:11, V1 wrote:

My checklist page:

Comm options in order: cell, cell 911, cell text, bystander, radio
relay, SPOT SOS, ELB, PLB For radio relay: 121.5 is emergency
channel SAR 122.9, 123.100, 120.850, 130.150 Comm airlines: 129.2,
129.5, 129.55, 130.9, 130.95, 131.925, 129.250 ATC: Houston Sealy
132.15, Houston College Station 120.4, Houston Austin 125.65, Houston
San Antonio 132.8, Fort Worth Waco 133.3

If racing, call (cell phone, text msg., or radio relay) race retrieve
desk: - landing card info - aero retrieve, ground retrieve, or
Standby - other information as specified for a specific race

Only comment: Move cell text ahead of all other cell options. Texts
get through (and with less chance of error) when voice calls will fail.

GC

Old September 11th 13, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Also - have an adapter from your glider battery to charge your cell phone. Lots of power there if you can get to it; or one of those hand-crank battery back-ups. Cell gives you comms and probably gps.

I also have the UK St John's Ambulance first aid manual app on my iphone, which hopefully would not be necessary...

DD