FAA lighting requirements for night soaring?

Old December 20th 04, 05:19 PM
Gary Boggs

Default FAA lighting requirements for night soaring?

I can't seem to find anywhere in the FARs where it specifies what the
minimum requirements are for night flying in gliders. I found requirements
for powered aircraft, but nothing for gliders. Is an anti-collision light
required by the Faa? Is a landing light required by the FAA to give rides?

Gary Boggs

Old December 20th 04, 10:43 PM
Eric Greenwell

Burt Compton wrote:

I haven't reviewed it all yet, but the 2005 FAR's needs a thorough re-read by
all of us, especially CFI's and DPE's.

Towpilots should note the changes about towing "unpowered ultralight vehicles"
(61.69 and 91.309). Now we can legally tow a Sparrowhawk and others.

I'm pleased to hear this, which should comfort those that were
interpreting the FARs otherwise.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 21st 04, 12:33 AM
BTIZ

Eric, according to the FAR 2004 version, unless the airworthiness
certificate said "glider" no standard airplane tow (not to count ultra
lights doing tow) could tow a Ultra light. It depended on how the
Sparrowhawk was certificated. The rule changed on Sept 1 2004.

What I have yet to see is a change in the insurance company, to see if they
will recognize the towing of unpowered ultralights to be covered by the
insurance.

Old December 21st 04, 12:58 AM
Mark James Boyd

The major changes I saw included:

No more taking passengers in experimentals without CAT/CLASS rating
No more PIC without privileges or solo (can't log training time as PIC time)
Someone can get an ATP rating for an experimental make/model
Sport Pilot stuff (of course)
Lots of mistakes in the Sport Pilot stuff

It's pretty clear to me that nobody carefully read the glider
parts of the Sport Pilot rule...

Makes for a good laugh, actually...

See how many glaring errors you can find. There are at least 3.

In article ,
Burt Compton wrote:
Regarding position lights - sunset to sunrise: 91.209 (Plain as day!)

Remember, when it says "aircraft" the regs apply to all categories including
gliders. When it says "airplane", that's a category and may not include
gliders. Like the left hand pattern rule at non-towered airports - only for
"airplanes".(91.126)

I'm looking at my brand new 2005 FAR / AIM book (published by ASA). For the
first time in a few years, there are lots of minor changes to the FAR's -
highlighted with a black line in the margins. Plue the Sport Aircraft / Pilot
additions.

I haven't reviewed it all yet, but the 2005 FAR's needs a thorough re-read by
all of us, especially CFI's and DPE's.

Towpilots should note the changes about towing "unpowered ultralight vehicles"
(61.69 and 91.309). Now we can legally tow a Sparrowhawk and others.

The right of way rules now require powered parachutes to yield to gliders.
(91.126). This is good - I once overtook and passed a powered parachute on
long final, in my glider (in Florida) - had no choice.

Yep - time find the cheaters and read the fine print by the firelight.

Burt Compton, CFI / DPE
Marfa Gliders, west Texas

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old December 21st 04, 01:17 AM
Eric Greenwell

I wasn't implying the interpretations were wrong, but only noting that
those who thought it was illegal (not everyone came to that conclusion)
should be glad to know that it is now explicitly allowed. This is good
news, right?

One step at time: we can now hope this "explicity" will encourage the
insurance companies to explicitly state that towing ultralight gliders
is OK by them, too (if they haven't already)!

Old December 21st 04, 06:01 AM
Bob C

I have lights on my Salto for night airshows. It took
me about 6 months to push the installation through
the FAA. Here's the basic story:

If your glider is standard airworthiness (not experimental),
it is probably placarded against night flight. Your
only hope is to have it placed in Experimental-Exhibition
category. This change is probably permanent. You
will then be required to provide a program letter annually,
and notify the FAA any time you intend to fly outside
of your operations area. The change to experimental
does NOT relieve you of the original maintenance requirements.
You still must comply with all AD's, and any modifications
(ie, light installation) must be done by STC or the
(now near impossible) field approval.

The limitations imposed by your new operating limitations
may be quite restrictive as to where you may fly, and
for what reasons. (Mine run about 6 pages.)

If your glider is already in Experimental category,
check your operationg limitations for a night flying
clause. If it is there, it will specify the requirements
for night flight (usually requiring comliance with
91.205 and 91.209).

Hope this helps.

Bob C.