Are You Ashamed to Land Out?

Old March 24th 20, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Are You Ashamed to Land Out?

Read the article regarding the diminishment of guys pursuing badges and a commonly held misconception that it takes greater than 30/1 to do xc, another thought came to mind. Namely, is there a stigma attached to landing out within the modern soaring community? Could this be a reason why guys are not overly enthusiastic about xc flight unless they own or have access to a high performance machine?

I think most of you regulars on here know my thoughts on the matter but I am interested in what you guys think.
Dan
Old March 24th 20, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Read the article regarding the diminishment of guys pursuing badges and a commonly held misconception that it takes greater than 30/1 to do xc, another thought came to mind. Namely, is there a stigma attached to landing out within the modern soaring community? Could this be a reason why guys are not overly enthusiastic about xc flight unless they own or have access to a high performance machine?

I think most of you regulars on here know my thoughts on the matter but I am interested in what you guys think.
Dan

Not in our club (Aero Club Albatross - ACA). We even have a bit of a tongue-in-cheek tagline: "We never turn back". Of course, we require members to do their Silver distance in a 1-26, so the first landouts tend to be not all that far away.

One of the top awards we give out every year is our Golden Retriever, which recognizes the longest/best/most arduous retrieve of the last year. Some of them are pretty outstanding and always good for a laugh.
Old March 24th 20, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yep u guys are great about getting guys started and then hooked on xc. I had a great time up there for the ridge seminar. But what I want to know is, was Daniels recent 9 mile 2-33 land out intentional? LOL
Dan
Old March 24th 20, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

Hey Dan,

My post was poorly written before; I didn't land out last weekend in the 2-33. I flew to an airport 9 miles away and then flew back. The kid I flew with did 90 percent of the flying.

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=7708206

We could've done more if I wasn't shivering uncontrollably in the back-seat.. 6000ft in March is chilly!

The 2-33 was landed out in February by another club member.

____________________

But on the subject of the thread, landouts are wonderful. So long as they are conducted responsibly and you make a safe approach and landing, they are a great adventure. I'd prefer not to land out in competitions, because they are costly in points... But otherwise, or given, a landing in a field is a great way to end the day. You know you've gotten everything out of the glider, yourself, and the conditions when you end the day in a field. And the experience of opening your eyes in an unfamiliar place after you've landed.... it's like being an alien arriving on Planet Earth. Seeing the places, meeting the people, is fantastic.

Several times I have walked to a nearby bar, restaurant or cafe while waiting for a crew. The act of sitting down in the corner is just surreal. You are on the ground, sure, but you have a completely different perspective. A part of your mind is still flying, and you are completely taking in the experience of living.

Landouts are a great experience. Far from ashamed, I look forward to the next one!

All the best,
Daniel
Old March 24th 20, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Namely, is there a stigma attached to landing out within the modern soaring community?

You're imagining things to feed your ego. Stop it.

T8
Old March 24th 20, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If it was unintentional, I have him beat, I once landed out 3 miles from Douglas Co airport in Minden and no it wasn’t on a stretched final glide lol. It was not even in a low performance machine, now that last fact was the real “salt in the wound” lol
Dan
Old March 24th 20, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Roger that Daniel and thumbs up on all you said. Some of my very best and most memorable experiences in soaring have been land outs. They truly are one of the funnest but almost forgotten aspects of xc flying.
Dan
Old March 24th 20, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

T8 I have to “imagine” things, I fly a glider with very modest performance lol, if I lived in the modern soaring “reality” I wouldn’t accomplish anything xc related lol.
Dan
Old March 24th 20, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Read the article regarding the diminishment of guys pursuing badges and a commonly held misconception that it takes greater than 30/1 to do xc, another thought came to mind. Namely, is there a stigma attached to landing out within the modern soaring community? Could this be a reason why guys are not overly enthusiastic about xc flight unless they own or have access to a high performance machine?

I think most of you regulars on here know my thoughts on the matter but I am interested in what you guys think.
Dan

No landing out stigma as far as the Crystal Squadron in SoCal is concerned. If there is a stigma, it's for having to come back for a re-light. The goal of every Crystal Squadron flight is a land out, and as far away as possible from take-off. (During the XC season, at any rate.)
Old March 24th 20, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I just posted in another thread here.....

I'm "an older fart".... had many hours in a 2-33 or 1-26 before something with "legs"....although did a few ships in quick succession after about 200hrs in lower performance...

I am not making decent pilots in the US shiver if I show up at a contest.
I have pushed glass pilots further when I am flying a 1-26 with basic instruments.

Land out....sheesh.....no clue....maybe 50 times? Worst was a glass ship gear door ripped the hinge....flying next day. Maybe clean green stains from fuselage next day...
Yes, landed in a quarry near Wurtsboro, NY that a later new club member "heard about" (ex hang glider peep) that they stated..."no Frikkin way!!!!"
I was there, did it, tore up mothers company car exhaust to retrieve....glider was fine....

Ashamed?
Yep, sometimes......
Glider flew next day?
Yep.

Does "fecal material happen", yep.....

Stuff happens....part of HHSC Snowbird contest....correctly trained, thou shall be able to place decent....this is the rule thang for 20+ years....

Land Out Kit MNLou Soaring 5 September 11th 13 03:07 AM
SPOT should be ashamed Pat Russell Soaring 12 May 2nd 08 06:49 AM
Who can land in 'fog' [email protected] Piloting 28 December 1st 05 12:12 AM
Bush is ashamed of what was written in his military records WalterM140 Military Aviation 0 August 12th 04 11:49 PM
It's ashamed that vOX POOPuli... B2431 Military Aviation 0 February 13th 04 08:10 PM