Clubs Still Flying List

Old March 30th 20, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Clubs Still Flying List

On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 2:41:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Flubber, the discussions here usually end up in controversy n crap. But this place is mostly populated with old codgers who like me, have been in the sport for decades, are not going anywhere( not going to leave the sport) and are all of strong opinions including yourself. When I am out at the field or visiting another field flying, this stuff rarely comes up and reasonable conversations can be had because we have the time face to face to present our points of view in their totality. I don’t know of a single potential glider pilot who has been run away from a club via political opinions. I have however seen guys move on due to the clickiness of old time club members.

When you treat RAS as a private conversation between an in-group of buddies, you overlook that RAS is a public forum on the internet. People who're curious about the sport stumble in here for a first impression, and some hold unflattering preconceptions about old men (aka most soaring pilots). Search on any soaring related topic in the USA, and RAS pops to the top of the results.

The people that are turned off by this first-impression never make it to the airport.
Old March 30th 20, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 3:41:15 PM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Hear hear....although I usually look at birds (other than seagulls....)....whatever, a save is a save.....
Politics, religion, sexual preference is something for a possible hanger discussion....flying is a better set of rules!

We could have save a few bucks and helped society much better if the package had not included 25 million for the Kennedy Center, 350 Million for refugee resettlement, 75 million to PBS, and 25 million to congressional salaries. Am I missing the point here??? I saw nothing in the package for glider pilot relief tubes. Bob
Old March 30th 20, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The people that are turned off by this first-impression never make it to the airport.

I think most of the folks “stumbling” into this site have more internet savvy than you give them credit for. Anyone with a lick of sense or seriousness about exploring soaring can read thru the posts and know how to digest a meal (relevant soaring info) and spit out the bones (personal commentary).

If anything may be objectionable to newcommers, it may be the intolerance many show here to opposing viewpoints. I think if we all portray a more open nature toward all the diverse ideas and opinions here, we would be doing the whole community a service.
Dan
Old March 30th 20, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 9:31:01 AM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:
"I consider the airport to be a no religion / no politics environment."

I don't know about the airport environment, but when I am 250 km away from home, scratching down at 800', and I see another glider circling steep nearby, I don't much care if he is a Trump or a Bernie supporter, Catholic, Muslim, Jew or Druid.
He is my new best friend.
ROY

I extend my engine.
Old March 30th 20, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 2:40:50 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 9:31:01 AM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:
"I consider the airport to be a no religion / no politics environment."

I don't know about the airport environment, but when I am 250 km away from home, scratching down at 800', and I see another glider circling steep nearby, I don't much care if he is a Trump or a Bernie supporter, Catholic, Muslim, Jew or Druid.
He is my new best friend.
ROY

I extend my engine.

correction: it would already be extended.
Old March 30th 20, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Well that's one solution - but I don't have one of those.

ROY (who has retrieved 4 sustainer engine gliders out of fields).
Old March 30th 20, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 4:24:59 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
[...]

Good. If snowflakes stay away so much the better for soaring.
Old March 31st 20, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Good. If snowflakes stay away so much the better for soaring.

A story about the bad old days: when I started gliding in the 60s, in the UK, I had to arrive early to get my name on the list for a winch launch. Little hope of a second winch launch, and I could not afford aerotows. It was explained to me that 'this was the way gliding was, and if I really wanted to fly, I'd persevere'.

Old March 31st 20, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 5:05:17 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Good. If snowflakes stay away so much the better for soaring.

A story about the bad old days: when I started gliding in the 60s, in the UK, I had to arrive early to get my name on the list for a winch launch. Little hope of a second winch launch, and I could not afford aerotows. It was explained to me that 'this was the way gliding was, and if I really wanted to fly, I'd persevere'.

And you learned much by remaining there all day, listening in on the instructor/student interactions, watching (and rating) student patterns and landings, and running wings and marshaling launches and perhaps a warm evening in the club house or pub afterwards. Most winch clubs I was familiar with gave a student three launches before switching. That is, unless they soared away for about 30 minutes from the first launch or 20 minutes from the second. That way little time was wasted getting in and out of the glider between launches. Of course, not everywhere had the space to land back and take another launch.

Do any clubs still do first come, first served rotations?
Old March 31st 20, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 8:24:27 PM UTC-4, Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

At our club in New York students fly in the order they arrive. The early bird may get a couple of flights together before the next one shows up. The guys that sleep in wait longer and fly a bit less. Show up at 2:00 on Sunday afternoon and you will wait a good while and may only get one flight.
After you get your flight(s)put name back on the list to go again and go help work the line.
UH