Standalone artificial horizon

Old May 28th 20, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Lancaster[_2_]

Default Standalone artificial horizon

Hi all,

I’m looking for a reliable, high quality, standalone artificial horizon that fits cleanly in a round hole (I’m not wanting a square barnacle that “fits” into a round hole).

Does anyone have any flight experience with either of these:

uAvionix AV-30:
https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/

RC Allen RCA2610:
https://www.kellymfg.com/images/RCA2...nformation.pdf

Any hands on info appreciated.

Many thanks,

Richard
Old May 28th 20, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Richard Lancaster wrote on 5/28/2020 7:59 AM:
Hi all,

I’m looking for a reliable, high quality, standalone artificial horizon that fits cleanly in a round hole (I’m not wanting a square barnacle that “fits” into a round hole).

Does anyone have any flight experience with either of these:

uAvionix AV-30:
https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/

RC Allen RCA2610:
https://www.kellymfg.com/images/RCA2...nformation.pdf

Any hands on info appreciated.

Is this for a glider? If not, then maybe an airplane forum would yield better remarks.

Old May 28th 20, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Lancaster[_2_]

On Thursday, 28 May 2020 18:31:31 UTC+1, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Is this for a glider? If not, then maybe an airplane forum would yield better remarks.

Hi Eric, yup it's for a glider.

Best regards,

Richard
Old May 29th 20, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 7:59:57 AM UTC-7, Richard Lancaster wrote:
Hi all,

I’m looking for a reliable, high quality, standalone artificial horizon that fits cleanly in a round hole (I’m not wanting a square barnacle that “fits” into a round hole).

Does anyone have any flight experience with either of these:

uAvionix AV-30:
https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/

RC Allen RCA2610:
https://www.kellymfg.com/images/RCA2...nformation.pdf

Any hands on info appreciated.

Many thanks,

Richard

This video shows the AV-30 in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh9DiMPpKAA
Here is a pretty good review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8p3ncDYFiI
If all you want is an attitude indicator a better choice might be the AV-20..

I have the Garmin G5 PFD and love it. It differs from the AV-30 (besides being square) in that the airspeed and altitude displays are strips that move up and down. I use the altimeter as a vario for weak thermals. Also, you can very precisely control airspeed vs a steam gauge ASI. I also have the battery backup option on my G5 so it has a power source if the **** hits the fan, an important consideration for your PFD.

Tom
Old May 29th 20, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 4:02:59 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
[...]

Is that battery backup built in to the G5 unit?
Old May 29th 20, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 1:45:04 PM UTC-5, Richard Lancaster wrote:
On Thursday, 28 May 2020 18:31:31 UTC+1, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Is this for a glider? If not, then maybe an airplane forum would yield better remarks.

Hi Eric, yup it's for a glider.

Best regards,

Richard

I've a friend that has the g5 in a Texan, Great instrument! and if you get tired of it, resale will be very good.
Scott
Old May 29th 20, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 4:39:27 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
[...]

It's an option that attaches to the back of the G5.

Tom
Old May 29th 20, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 6:05:42 PM UTC-7, Scott Williams wrote:
On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 1:45:04 PM UTC-5, Richard Lancaster wrote:
On Thursday, 28 May 2020 18:31:31 UTC+1, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Is this for a glider? If not, then maybe an airplane forum would yield better remarks.

Hi Eric, yup it's for a glider.

Best regards,

Richard

I've a friend that has the g5 in a Texan, Great instrument! and if you get tired of it, resale will be very good.
Scott

LOL! It's my one and only PFD - can't get rid of it. However, I can highly recommend it.

Tom
Old May 29th 20, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

https://www.kanardia.eu/product/horis/
Old May 29th 20, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

LX Navigation also produces what look to be good units in the AHRS field.

http://www.lxnavigation.com/iris-efis/

You can get either a 2 1/4 (57 mm) or 3 1/8 (80 mm) size for 990 Euro and 1090 Euro respectively.

These are completely stand-alone units with a back-up battery

They provide:
- a speed tape showing IAS, TAS and ground speed
- altitude tape also showing climb/descent rate
- heading indicator
- bearing to a selected destination
- QNH setting

All of these display options are user customizable to show as much or as little as you wish on the screen.

The full user manual can be downloaded here with all the details.

http://lxnavigation.com/downloads/manuals/LX_HUM_R1.pdf

Artificial Horizon HELP! Mike Mike Ground Soaring 8 September 30th 11 08:17 AM
Electronic Artificial Horizon Stuart Kinnear Soaring 14 May 3rd 07 06:56 PM
artificial horizon DavidH Home Built 14 March 14th 07 08:47 AM
Artificial horizon pinout? [email protected] Home Built 3 July 16th 06 02:02 PM
Artificial Horizon testing Rory O'Conor Soaring 6 April 5th 05 11:48 PM