Anyone recognize this fuel cap?

Old June 6th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Anyone recognize this fuel cap?

Found on the golf course behind my house (NJ near SMQ).

http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/P1010001.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/P1010002.JPG

I thought it was probably from a Cessna, but having looked on Ebay, I'm not
sure. Anyone recognize it? What aircraft? I hope he got where he was
going.

Old June 6th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

In a previous article, "Bob Chilcoat" said:
Found on the golf course behind my house (NJ near SMQ).

http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/P1010001.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/P1010002.JPG

I thought it was probably from a Cessna, but having looked on Ebay, I'm not
sure. Anyone recognize it? What aircraft? I hope he got where he was
going.

Our Cherokees have very similar caps. One time when I was a student
pilot, I went out to the flight line to find the trainer had duct tape
over the filler hole on one tank - somebody had lost the cap, and flown
home with this improvised job, and then not let the flying club know.

I remember that even though it looks like the same cap you could buy for
an old Ford tractor for $4, it cost over $80.

Speaking of tractors, maybe you should check to see if the golf course's
riding mowers use those sort of caps?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
If you refer to a woman as any form of waterborne African mammal then a quick
Old June 6th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

It's almost certainly not a Cherokee cap, since it doesn't have the vent
valve, and is quite different from any Cherokee cap I've seen (including the
ones on our Archer). I don't believe it's from a tractor, since it's made
of aluminum.

Old June 6th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I'm betting on the mower--mostly because one of the retaining lugs apears to
be bent. Aluminum is rust resistant and inexpensive to fabricate; and small
things, such as ispection covers, can fall on grass from a considerable
height without damage.

Peter

Old June 6th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:17:56 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

[...]

I know of a Cessna 150 with identical caps.
also for the aerodynamics purists the knob sits across the airflow.
:-)

Stealth Pilot
Old June 6th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
Found on the golf course behind my house (NJ near SMQ).

http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/P1010001.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/P1010002.JPG

I thought it was probably from a Cessna, but having looked on Ebay, I'm not
sure. Anyone recognize it? What aircraft? I hope he got where he was
going.

Could be a Ford Anglica.
Are you a Harry Potter fan by chance?

Old June 7th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

" I thought it was probably from a Cessna, but having looked on Ebay, I'm
not
sure. Anyone recognize it? What aircraft? I hope he got where he was
going.

Looks like the one on my Tri-Pacer. I'll look closely when I get to my
hangar later today.

Paul
N1431A

Old June 7th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Tri-Pacer wrote:
Looks like the one on my Tri-Pacer. I'll look closely when I get to my
hangar later today.

Indeed it looks like the official PMA'd replacement fuel cap for the
TriPacer (the kind you get from Univair for $70+).

Michael