PowerFlarm antenna recommendation

Old April 7th 13, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sam Discusflyer[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm antenna recommendation

Hi,
First let me acknowledge and thank those who are testing and
evaluating the location and installation of various antennae for best
performance for/with the PowerFlarm core/brick.
In the next week I will be installing the core and butterfly in panel
display in my V2b.
Has/can a recommendation be made by Flarm for the best
antenna to be installed in this glider?
I received the dipole with the core. Is this still the recommended
antenna for best performance with the core/brick?

Thank you for the response. I can give some feedback on my
experiences later this soaring season.

Steve Michalik
S9

Old April 7th 13, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Sunday, April 7, 2013 9:30:28 AM UTC-7, Sam Discusflyer wrote:
Hi,

I received the dipole with the core. Is this still the recommended

antenna for best performance with the core/brick?

Steve Michalik

S9

Steve,

The dipole is probably the best practical antenna available. If your glider nose is not carbon fiber, and you have reasonable clearance 3" from metal stuff, then installing one dipole on each side of the nose works well. Keep the center feed coax at right angle leading away from the antenna elements for a few inches too.

bumper

Old April 7th 13, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I cannot speak to "recommendations made by Flarm", but if you want to have a look at what I did in my V2C, you could go to my webpage.
https://sites.google.com/site/threeuniform/powerflarm.

In the antenna page you can see my results from the range analysis tool.
Old April 7th 13, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Hi Steve - I recommend the dipole, mounted as high as
practical. In the V2b this means on a support towards
the pilot end of the glare shield. Angle the coax
away from the dipole...
Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave