A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Komet Trailer

Old July 28th 17, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Komet Trailer

Hi all,

I have recently taken a significant upgrade in trailers for my Libelle from a cigar tube trailer to a Komet. We adjusted it to go from a Discus to a Libelle and it is so much nicer to rig and de-rig out of. Trailers matter!

I have two questions, if I have to reweld a support bar on the clam shell and a small crack in the area of metal that holds the clam shell down during transport, has anyone had to re-weld some of there Komet, if so please let me know what steps you took.

My final question is what I should do to prevent water and other things from getting in between the clam shell and the trailer door in the back. I was thinking of putting a piece of wood in between unless someone has a better idea? Thanks.

https://ibb.co/j2dhh5 --- Photo of gap in between the clam shell and trailer door needing to be weather sealed.
Old July 29th 17, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman
external usenet poster

Default Komet Trailer

I am far from an expert on these but have had one for a few years. I had a local welder repair a few spots and I believe he tig welded them. If hard against the fibregalss it will probably need some heat shielding during welding.
At the back your gap looks a little larger than expected but I could be wrong. There should be a hard rubber strip on top of the rear door for when it rests on the ground and a sealing strip (soft rubber) atrached to the lid to fill the gap.

Cheers Ben
Old July 31st 17, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Komet Trailer

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 8:14:25 PM UTC-5, Ben Coleman wrote:
I am far from an expert on these but have had one for a few years. I had a local welder repair a few spots and I believe he tig welded them. If hard against the fibregalss it will probably need some heat shielding during welding.
At the back your gap looks a little larger than expected but I could be wrong. There should be a hard rubber strip on top of the rear door for when it rests on the ground and a sealing strip (soft rubber) atrached to the lid to fill the gap.

Cheers Ben

Thank you!
Old August 2nd 17, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP
external usenet poster

Default Komet Trailer

As far as the gap... I took medium density foam and glued it full length to the lift gate. When you close the tail gate, it compresses the foam slightly making the seal. A simple rectangular piece of foam works great for dust, but if you want to seal it from rain, you'll have to use a much thicker piece of foam (~1.5 in or so). It will need to be cut so that the foam provides a roof over the tailgate, but thin where the tailgate closes. Cross-section below....

________
| |
| (foam) | --(lift gate side - clamshell)
|____ | (glue this edge to lift gate)
-----| |
| || |
/\ | ||___|
||=| |
\/ | |
| |
| | --(tailgate - closed position)
| |
| |

Old August 2nd 17, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP
external usenet poster

Default Komet Trailer

crap. it looked so good before I hit the "post" button. wish they would leave the font in courier.
Old August 2nd 17, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Komet Trailer

Hey Dirk,

It looks like courier on my computer.

On 8/1/2017 5:10 PM, ZP wrote:
crap. it looked so good before I hit the "post" button. wish they would leave the font in courier.

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 2nd 17, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Komet Trailer

On Tue, 01 Aug 2017 16:10:49 -0700, ZP wrote:

crap. it looked so good before I hit the "post" button. wish they would
leave the font in courier.

Looked good here (using PAN 0.141 as newsreader). Some newsreaders (PAN
is one) let you set the font used for different window types: I use
'monospaced' for everything. Is it possible that your edit window is
using Courier but the window/panel your usenet reader uses to display
incoming posts is using a variable width font?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org |
Old August 7th 17, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Komet Trailer

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 6:09:27 PM UTC-5, ZP wrote:
As far as the gap... I took medium density foam and glued it full length to the lift gate. When you close the tail gate, it compresses the foam slightly making the seal. A simple rectangular piece of foam works great for dust, but if you want to seal it from rain, you'll have to use a much thicker piece of foam (~1.5 in or so). It will need to be cut so that the foam provides a roof over the tailgate, but thin where the tailgate closes. Cross-section below....

________
| |
| (foam) | --(lift gate side - clamshell)
|____ | (glue this edge to lift gate)
-----| |
| || |
/\ | ||___|
||=| |
\/ | |
| |
| | --(tailgate - closed position)
| |
| |

Thank you!