Making plastic parts

Old September 3rd 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Default Making plastic parts

Does anyone know of a material that starts as a liquid, but hardens as
a platic?
I want to make some custom plastic parts for my plane (no not for the
structure)
that will require making a mold and then pouring in the liquid.
Lou

Old September 3rd 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Hmmm--I wonder how they get those little spiders,Scorpions, medalions
etc inside those polished acrylic deskweights???Jerry

Old September 3rd 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Lou wrote:
Does anyone know of a material that starts as a liquid, but hardens as
a platic?
I want to make some custom plastic parts for my plane (no not for the
structure)
that will require making a mold and then pouring in the liquid.
Lou

Try Tap plastics.

Tony
Old September 3rd 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Drew Dalgleish

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 13:08:32 -0500, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Acyrilic casting resin - arts and crafts stuff...

Would this stuff be suitable for making a lens cover for a wingtip
strobe?

Old September 4th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Wow that Tap plastics has a ton of stuff.
Lou

Old September 4th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

No fooling. I get all the epoxy for my electronic business there and
all sorts of other plastic stuff for various other projects.

Tony

Old September 4th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Lou wrote:

Does anyone know of a material that starts as a liquid, but hardens as
a platic?
I want to make some custom plastic parts for my plane (no not for the
structure)
that will require making a mold and then pouring in the liquid.
Lou

Dunno, Drew.

I formed a few from Polycarbinate and Lexan with varying degrees of sucess.

But the heat from the bulb turned out to be the real killer.
Actually melted through in less than 1/2 hour.
Granted wind would cool them some, but I gave up and replaced them
with normal wing tip marker lights (glass covers).

I can't guess how well acrylic resin would survive.
But the heat will for sure be an issue...

Guess that's why it says Experimental on the side.

Richard
Old September 4th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Lou wrote:

Does anyone know of a material that starts as a liquid, but hardens as
a platic?
I want to make some custom plastic parts for my plane (no not for the
structure)
that will require making a mold and then pouring in the liquid.
Lou

Dunno, Drew.

I formed a few from Polycarbinate and Lexan with varying degrees of

sucess.

But the heat from the bulb turned out to be the real killer.
Actually melted through in less than 1/2 hour.
Granted wind would cool them some, but I gave up and replaced them
with normal wing tip marker lights (glass covers).

I can't guess how well acrylic resin would survive.
But the heat will for sure be an issue...

Guess that's why it says Experimental on the side.

Richard

I was about to suggest thermoforming from either Lexan or Plexiglas, since I
thought that was how the lenses on Bonanzas and the like were made. So, now
you made me curious--how much surrounding airspace was available iside the
ones you made?

Peter

Old September 4th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Lou wrote:

[...]

Almost 1/2 inch above the 12 watt (1 amp) bulb.

Remember that there are thermoforming plastics and thermoSETTING plastics.

That might make all the difference in the world here...

Richard