Prop to High RPM on downwind

Old November 21st 04, 11:51 PM
Mitty

Default Prop to High RPM on downwind

I've been taught to set the prop to high RPM on final, but I don't like this
very much because then, when I run my checklist for the first time on downwind,
I have to leave one item "open."

So what's wrong with doing it on downwind? (This in a Cherokee 6 or and Arrow)
It seems to work fine, does not disarrange the engine, etc. I suppose there
is some small noise increase, but hardly much.

So (1) is everyone taught to do it on final? (2) Why? (3) What's wrong with
doing it on downwind?

TIA

Old November 22nd 04, 12:09 AM
Stefan

Mitty wrote:

I suppose there is some small noise increase, but hardly much.

There is a huge noise increase. Your neighbours will love you and your
airfield will have a couple of enemies more.

Stefan

Old November 22nd 04, 12:23 AM
M.Lopresti

I may be able to shed some light on the subject, Im not a Cherokee or Arrow pilot
but thats doens't really matter. Through out my training on a CSU type aircraft I
was tought to increase to full fine pitch on finals because of the event of a go
around.

Hope this helps, Michael

Old November 22nd 04, 12:33 AM
Bob Gardner

The only reason for pushing the prop up is in case of a go-around. Let's say
you are on approach to a 10,000 foot runway and there are no airplanes in
the runup areas. Why prepare for a go-around at the expense of making a lot
of unnecessary noise? Approaching a 3000 foot strip, with a plane at the
hold line and a kid on a bicycle riding toward the runway...sure, push the
prop up. Don't do anything without a reason. "My instructor told me to" is
not a reason.

Bob Gardner

Old November 22nd 04, 12:39 AM
John

Mitty wrote:

I've been taught to set the prop to high RPM on final, but I don't like this
very much because then, when I run my checklist for the first time on downwind,
I have to leave one item "open."

So what's wrong with doing it on downwind? (This in a Cherokee 6 or and Arrow)
It seems to work fine, does not disarrange the engine, etc. I suppose there
is some small noise increase, but hardly much.

So (1) is everyone taught to do it on final? (2) Why? (3) What's wrong with
doing it on downwind?

You want to land with the prop forward so that it is ready in case of a go-around.
Pushing the prop lever forward on downwind won't hurt the airplane, but you will
create substantially more noise, which doesn't help GA at all in an era where more
and more people are pushing for airport restrictions and outright closures. So why
not be kind to the neighbors and delay full forward?

AOPA has a video called Flying Friendly; among the items it recommends is waiting
until final to push the prop level to highest RPM.

Old November 22nd 04, 12:48 AM
Nathan Young

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:51:25 GMT, Mitty wrote:

So (1) is everyone taught to do it on final? (2) Why? (3) What's wrong with
doing it on downwind?

Noise abatement. On final, power is reduced low-enough that the prop
cannot turn 2700RPM anyway, so excess noise will not occur.

-nathan

Old November 22nd 04, 01:00 AM
Andrew Gideon

I understand the OP's dislike of leaving a checklist item "open", but think
of this a different way: It's good to be used to running through the full
checklist on final as well as downwind. That makes missing an important
item (ie. "gear" {8^) on a straight-in less likely.

More, it's not necessarily bad having to actually *think* about a checklist
(ie. deciding which GUMPS items to do now, and which to postpone). I
*think* (this is just an opinion) that this would make seeing green lights
when they're yellow a little less likely.

Finally, I want to add my voice to those that speak of friends and enemies
of aviation. We don't need to add to the latter, so we learn to "fly
friendly".

- Andrew

Old November 22nd 04, 01:18 AM
Dan Luke

"Chris" wrote:
Nothing

Noise.

Old November 22nd 04, 01:18 AM
Brenor Brophy

With my 182 on downwind at 90 KIAS and 15" MP, pushing the prop full forward
is not going to increase the RPM (or noise), the governer is already at its
stops. I too was taught to push it in on final (in case of a go around).
However, I frequently forgot (you have plenty of other things to worry about
on final) so now it get pushed forward along with all the other items on the
before landing checklist.

-Brenor

"Mitty" wrote in message
I've been taught to set the prop to high RPM on final, but I don't like
this very much because then, when I run my checklist for the first time on
downwind, I have to leave one item "open."

So what's wrong with doing it on downwind? (This in a Cherokee 6 or and
Arrow) It seems to work fine, does not disarrange the engine, etc. I
suppose there is some small noise increase, but hardly much.

So (1) is everyone taught to do it on final? (2) Why? (3) What's wrong
with doing it on downwind?

TIA

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 10:18 PM
Ivo Prop on O-320 Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:04 AM
Fwd: [BD4] Source of HIGH CHTs on O-320 and O-360 FOUND! Bruce A. Frank Home Built 1 July 4th 04 07:28 PM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 6th 03 11:43 PM
Metal Prop vs. Wood Prop Larry Smith Home Built 21 September 26th 03 07:45 PM