Garmin 296. Should I retire my 295?

Old November 18th 04, 06:00 PM
Bonza

Default Garmin 296. Should I retire my 295?

The new Garmin 296 has been out for about a year now and the fanfare
seems to have subsided. There are seldom any new posts about it.

I was looking to trade in or replace my 295. I have one of the first
ones in my Bonanza and it is a great tool, I'd hate to be without it.
It is 4 years old now and I wanted your thoughts on:

1. trading it in on a 296.
2. buying a 296 and moving the 295 to the car.
3. waiting for something better.

You guys that have been using them for a while now, what do you think?
Is there a substantial performance difference over the older model?
Anyone have a insite as to what might be coming next?

Thanks,

Bob
Old November 18th 04, 08:24 PM
Elwood Dowd

If the 195 vs. 196 is any indication, I'd say it was well worth it if
you can afford it. Performance on the 196 is easily 8 to 10 times
faster than the 195, the screen is far more readable, and battery life
is about 20x.
Old November 18th 04, 08:36 PM
Dan Luke

There are two valuable (IMO) features the 296 has that the 295 doesn't: the
artificial panel and the terrain/obstacle page.

I like my 296, but I liked my 295 about as much. I've only used the
artificial panel in training, but I have used the terrain/obstacle page to
good effect while scud running around t'storms. For that reason, at least,
I'm happy with my decision to trade up.

There is one thing I most emphatically do NOT like about the 296: the remote
power cable connector. It is difficult to unplug from the GPS, which causes
a lot of mechanical stress on its connector head--so much that I've already
had one come apart on me and the current one looks like it will go soon.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old November 18th 04, 11:24 PM
Mike Noel

If your talking about where the connector enters the body of the 296, mine
comes out reasonably enough if I press the tips of my thumb and forefinger
against the case and wiggle the connector straight out.

--
Regards,
Mike

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/amountainaero/fspic1.html

Old November 19th 04, 12:49 AM
Dan Luke

"Mike Noel" wrote :
If your talking about where the connector enters the body of the 296,
mine
comes out reasonably enough if I press the tips of my thumb and
forefinger
against the case and wiggle the connector straight out.

A good design would not require such fussy manipulation.

Old November 19th 04, 12:56 AM
C J Campbell

If you are using the GPS regularly, I think it is definitely worth it.

Old November 19th 04, 03:43 AM
Jon Woellhaf

I had a 295 and bought a 296. I kept the 295. It's on the right-hand yoke. I
think the 296 is superior to the 295 in every respect -- except, perhaps,
the power connector. The 296 is FAR superior to the 295 in the car. If
you're interested, Google Groups for pirep 295 296 and read my very long
comparison of the 296 vs the 295.

Jon

om...

Old November 19th 04, 03:15 PM
Bonza

Thank you Jon for writing your review and to you others that replied.
I'll probably order one, but it has dropped down a notch on the
priority list. Although come to think of it, I have some long XC's
coming up that it would be nice to have....

Bob
Old November 19th 04, 05:32 PM
Jon Woellhaf

Bob,

Garmin has a beta version of new firmware for the 296 that eliminates
several of the complaints I had. I'm waiting until it's out of beta before
trying it.

Jon

m...

Garmin 430 Reception Jon Kraus Owning 16 November 7th 04 03:17 AM
Garmin 296 worth the money? Terry Owning 15 June 22nd 04 09:03 AM
Garmin Specials ADV Michael Coates Home Built 0 March 18th 04 12:24 AM
Garmin DME arc weidnress Dave Touretzky Instrument Flight Rules 5 October 2nd 03 02:04 AM
Garmin 430/530 Questions Steve Coleman Instrument Flight Rules 16 August 28th 03 09:04 PM