Unusual landings on aircraft carriers

Old July 15th 03, 01:05 AM
John

TBBlakeley wrote:

Of course there was the use of U-2's off of a carrier.

Yep, extended the loiter time over the test area. pilots MUCH give
out sooner then the aircraft.
French test area was MILEs from a useable base...carrier is an useable
option....

Old July 15th 03, 03:58 AM
Richard Caldwell

Walt BJ wrote in message
. ..
Back when the Navy was looking for an advanced jet trainer I remember
seeing a picture of an F104B on a carrier. Did this really happen or
was it a PR photo montage? Having flown 104s the idea of operating
ONto a carrier gives me pause.
Off, with a hefty cat shot, no problem.
Walt BJ

By far the most impressive video of a carrier landing that I've ever seen
was the
C-130 Hercules landing on the USS Forrestall. I think it was in 1962, but
I'm not
certain of the year. I used to have the video, but I musta lost it in one
of the many
PC upgrades I've gone through since then. I'm sure it's still available
on-line somewhere,
and I'm sure one of the readers of this NG can tell us where.

The story that came with the video stated that the Herc did multiple
landings and
take-offs, all without catapult or arresting gear, but I've never seen any
video
of a take-off.

Richard Caldwell

Old July 15th 03, 03:10 PM
John

Richard Caldwell wrote:

By far the most impressive video of a carrier landing that I've ever seen
was the C-130 Hercules landing on the USS Forrestall. I think it was in
1962, but
I'm not certain of the year. I used to have the video, but I musta lost it
in one
of the many PC upgrades I've gone through since then. I'm sure it's still
available
on-line somewhere,
and I'm sure one of the readers of this NG can tell us where.

The story that came with the video stated that the Herc did multiple
landings and take-offs, all without catapult or arresting gear, but I've
never seen any
video of a take-off.

Richard Caldwell

Takeoff video
http://www.AirAndSpaceMagazine.com/A...T/HercOff.html

Landing Video
http://www.AirAndSpaceMagazine.com/A...QT/HercOn.html

and just for the heck of it,
the "Flight under the Eiffel Tower!"
http://www.AirAndSpaceMagazine.com/A...QT/Eiffel.html

Old July 17th 03, 12:44 AM
Matt Wiser

Has anyone mentioned this: in 1964, after the French set up their Murora Atoll
nuclear test site and set off the first bomb there, a U-2 was loaded onto
USS Ranger(CV-61) and the ship sailed to within range of the island. The
U-2 took off from the carrier, made an overflight of the island,taking pictures
of the installation before returning to the ship and making a trap. Source
is By Any Means Necessary, by William Burrows.

Old July 29th 03, 07:50 PM
Billy Beck

"John Carrier" wrote:

What about the April 4, 1963 dead-stick landing of an F-8 Crusader flown
by Stu Harrison?

But not to an arrested landing I dare say.

Admiral Gillcrist was in the air with him that day, and he says
that Harrison caught a #1 wire. It's in ch. 22 of his memoir, "Feet
Wet".

Billy

http://www.two--four.net/weblog.php
Old July 29th 03, 08:13 PM
Billy Beck

vincent p. norris wrote:

On 11 Jul 2003 22:59:25 GMT, ost (Ditch) wrote:

What about the April 4, 1963 dead-stick landing of an F-8 Crusader flown by Stu
Harrison?

Could you tell us more about that?

VF-62 was operating the F-8E while all & sundry were discovering
that the pump into the fuel feed tank would sometimes inexplicably
*reverse* and start pumping fuel back out to the other eight fuel
tanks in the airplane. Harrison and Gillcrist had launched from
Shangri La on "a routine air intercept training mission" and were
thirty miles out when things started going backwards in the fueling
system.

Making their way back, Gillcrist requested an emergency pull
forward and soon had a ready deck. They entered the cone at 175 knots
with idle power, and Gillcrist thinking they were never going to drain
45 knots before Harrison hit the deck. "He's going to rip the tail
right off the airplane." Passing 500 feet, he was about to suggest
that Harrison pull up and get in shape to eject, when Harrison's jet
abruptly dropped below and behind.

He looked back and saw Harrison's jet sitting on the deck and
could not understand how the guy had possibly reeled it all in: he'd
gone from the top of the cone and thirty knots fast, to the one wire.

The standing order was to keep the engine running on any F-8E
that had been recovered with the feed tank goof, so that technicians
could take a look at the thing in action and try to sort it out.
Well, the flight deck director was signalling the taxi forward, but
Harrison's airplane just sat there (while Gillcrist was going around).
The VF-62 CO had geared up and run out on the deck to personally
supervise investigation of the feed tank goof, and was circling two
fingers to Harrison to keep it running. What happened was that
Harrison flipped 'em both the bird and climbed out of the jet right
there where it sat.

The CO promptly went nuts, of course, and told Harrison that he
was in hack for the rest of the cruise.

That's when Harrison told him, "Goddamn it, Skipper, the reason
why I didn't keep the engine running was because the son of a bitch
quit while I was in the groove!"

He'd come over the ramp with one hand gingerly adding
back-pressure on the stick and the other hand on the ejection
handle... which was cool because there was no point in paying
attention to the throttle.

He must've done it all just exactly right.

That's how Gillcrist describes it in his book.