Is a "yellow-tag" really necessary?

Old March 7th 04, 09:01 AM
Andre

Default Is a "yellow-tag" really necessary?

Ok, let's say my TSO'd Attitude Indicator (AI) in my Cherokee goes
belly-up, and my friend just happens to have one he removed from his
machine a month ago as part of a complete panel upgrade. We both KNOW
the thing works fine and would solve my problem.

What's the ramifications of just having it installed in my Cherokee?
Is it OK without a yellow-tag? If not, why not? Isn't there any
discretion on the the part of the mechanic to install a part he has
observed as functional in one airplane and put it directly in another?

I hear if you ask an instrument shop to check it out and yellow-tag
it, they will often refuse unless you pay them to do a COMPLETE
OVERHAUL. Is that true?

What's the straight skinny on all this, guys?

Thanks...
Andre
Old March 7th 04, 01:32 PM
Dennis O'Connor

When he gives you the gyro have him rummage in the airplane folder and give
you the yellow tag or mfg's sticker that the mechanic had to have to
install it into his plane... That's all your mechanic needs...
denny

"Andre" wrote in message What's the straight skinny
on all this, guys?

Thanks...
Andre

Old March 7th 04, 04:32 PM
Newps

Andre wrote:

Ok, let's say my TSO'd Attitude Indicator (AI) in my Cherokee goes
belly-up, and my friend just happens to have one he removed from his
machine a month ago as part of a complete panel upgrade. We both KNOW
the thing works fine and would solve my problem.

What's the ramifications of just having it installed in my Cherokee?

This is exactly what I did with a DG. Someone on these boards was
gutting the panel and going with all new stuff. I bought the DG because
the one in my plane was acting up. Just swapped it out, didn't bother
to log it and away I go. There is no reason to have a yellow tagged part.

Old March 7th 04, 04:41 PM
Jim Weir

New instrument? WHAT new instrument?

Jim

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old March 8th 04, 05:16 AM
Andre

Stu Gotts wrote in message . ..
On 7 Mar 2004 01:01:09 -0800, (Andre) wrote:

Ok, let's say my TSO'd Attitude Indicator (AI) in my Cherokee goes
belly-up, and my friend just happens to have one he removed from his
machine a month ago as part of a complete panel upgrade. We both KNOW
the thing works fine and would solve my problem.

What's the ramifications of just having it installed in my Cherokee?
Is it OK without a yellow-tag? If not, why not? Isn't there any
discretion on the the part of the mechanic to install a part he has
observed as functional in one airplane and put it directly in another?

I hear if you ask an instrument shop to check it out and yellow-tag
it, they will often refuse unless you pay them to do a COMPLETE
OVERHAUL. Is that true?

If the part is a certified one (doesn't have to be TSO'd) and is
listed as a direct replacement, all that is necessary is a proper log
book entry.

An instrument shop can inspect and return the part to service "yellow
tagged". They would probably insist of tweaking it which will cost
you the same as having it o/h'd. If it works, put it in. When it
dies, replace it.

Stu,

Thanks to you and the others for your post. What I need to find out
is what to tell the mechanic when I hand it to him (with no
yellow-tag).

It sounds like all I have to say is that the gyro is listed as a
direct replacement (I assume a Sigma-Tek 5000B-36 IS a direct
replacement), that it is in working condition, so JUST INSTALL it and
make a logbook entry.................please...

Does that sound correct?

By the way, where WOULD I find a list of approved replacement attitude
indicators for an Arrow II?

Andre
Old March 8th 04, 05:22 AM
BTIZ

any reputable mechanic will check the part numbers to make sure it is an
"approved replacement"..

ask your buddy to go through his logbooks and get the yellow tag

BT

"Andre" wrote in message
m...

. ..

Old March 8th 04, 05:26 AM
BTIZ

News Flash.. pilot loses control in instrument conditions.. crashes.. xx
dead. During the accident investigation the NTSB concentrates on the
Attitude Indicator that should have been a help and not a hindrance to the
pilot.

Serial numbers on the AI do not match the log books, someone swapped out his
AI. Was this sabotage to create the demise of the pilot? (like cutting the
brake line on his car, he lives on TOP of the only hill in town)

In any case Insurance company refuses payment. Aircraft was not properly
maintained as required by the insurance policy. Wife left behind looses
Ancestral Family home to dead passengers family lawsuit.

BT

Old March 8th 04, 11:43 AM
Doug

Nice myth. Similar to the myth that if the pilot broke the FARs, the
insurance company doesn't pay. Tell me, in your car, if you fail to
maintain your brakes, can't stop and crash, does your insurance
company deny your claim? Same thing with running a stop sign and
running into someone. If my insurance contained clauses allowing
denial of claims due to maintenance defects or pilot error, I would
NOT insure with that company. I have never seen such clauses in ANY
insurance policy I have ever read.

But I agree it is a common aviation myth, usually propagated by
instructors (usually instructors who have NEVER owned an airplane nor
READ an insurance policy).

spinner paint scheme Dick Home Built 3 January 27th 05 09:58 PM
Overall yellow Fw-190A-6 ??? Vicente Vazquez Military Aviation 5 April 20th 04 12:05 AM
Yellow tags Mike Z. Owning 13 February 21st 04 01:23 AM
Yellow, yellow. Fil330 Owning 1 November 2nd 03 03:13 PM
blue foam, pink foam, yellow foam? Corrie Home Built 26 September 1st 03 05:01 PM