first Comp

Old December 23rd 18, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neil Croxford

Default first Comp

folks
I am entering my fist Comp flying an LS4 in June 2019

Now i know i am not going to win and it is all about taking part, but
what can i do to the glider to gain more points

Old December 23rd 18, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:00:04 PM UTC-7, Neil Croxford wrote:
folks
I am entering my fist Comp flying an LS4 in June 2019

Now i know i am not going to win and it is all about taking part, but
what can i do to the glider to gain more points

Go he http://www.dragonnorth.com/djpresentations/

Then scroll down to Andy Davis articles. A good read for first-timers.

Best. #711.
Old December 23rd 18, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Hirst

Now i know i am not going to win and it is all about taking part, but
what can i do to the glider to gain more points

Hi Neil,

Congrats on entering - that's often the biggest psychological hurdle. Quick answer to your question: point the glider in the right direction.

OK, flippancy aside, there is only so much you can do to the actual glider to prepare it for flying, and after a while you invoke the law of diminishing returns. What really helps is to have confidence that the glider is prepared properly, so you can focus on flying it to the best of your ability (and thus gain more points). The Andy Davis articles that Tom mentioned are a really good overview but here are some points I'd like to stress.

There's a lot to be gained from cleaning the glider (seriously, and a lot of gliders - especially club gliders - come back from contests cleaner than when they left), polishing it and doing your best to remove all the little functional niggles that will distract you from the actual flying. Leaky dump valves are annoying. Gear doors that don't quite close properly are annoying. Seat cushions that stop you getting comfortable are annoying. Flapping loose ends of wing tape are annoying. Etc. etc.. Make sure that everything works and you'll get in the glider relaxed and happy.

Make sure that the instruments all work and that you know how to use them - especially true of electronic varios and fancy flight computers. Trying to figure out something in flight will distract from your actual flying (see how your average thermal climb rate goes down when you're ditracted). When in doubt, fly the glider and figure it out later.

Once you know that everything works and that you know how to work everything, you'll be in a much better frame of mind in which to head off into the unknown. It's a blast! Enjoy!

DH
TX
Old December 23rd 18, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Per Carlin

Instead of spending time outside of the the glider is my best recomendation to spend as much time as possible in the glider.

Yes you can tune the glider, but it will only give you at the best a few % better in performance.
You can easily gain 10% or more in points by knowing the glider and its performace better. Fly declared competitons tasks as training, do not give them up to easily, a few outlandings does not hurt more than lost prestige.

If you still feel the need to stay on the ground, put some attention to the instruments and the trailer, if they do not work are you in trouble.
Old December 23rd 18, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 3:00:04 PM UTC-5, Neil Croxford wrote:
folks
I am entering my fist Comp flying an LS4 in June 2019

Now i know i am not going to win and it is all about taking part, but
what can i do to the glider to gain more points

Give the glider just as much XC practice as possible :-).

T8
Old December 24th 18, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:00:04 PM UTC-8, Neil Croxford wrote:
folks
I am entering my fist Comp flying an LS4 in June 2019

Now i know i am not going to win and it is all about taking part, but
what can i do to the glider to gain more points

If you have a moving map like Oudie, I would strongly recommend learning how to use it and set it up the way you want by hooking it up to Condor and flying some virtual tasks. These things are complex and sometimes finicky. It will be stressful enough at the start line without the need to figure out how to restart a task on the flight computer, etc. Practice starts, final glides, and MATs on the flight computer. ITs fun!

Matt
Old December 24th 18, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

For most mere mortals, know your equipment and then seat time.
As others stated, know how to make your instruments do what you want, knowing they work well, then......seat time.
Way back when, it was, "40+ hours seat time in the glider you will compete in BEFORE the first contest day....that season".
This basically means the basics of flying "just sorta happens" so you can figure out where to go and when as well as watch for others.

If the basics of the ship are OK, then for most peeps, the minor gain of "prepping the ship" is nothing compared to the nut behind the stick.
Old December 24th 18, 09:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Read the rules. Best way to spend points is to infringe them!

Old December 24th 18, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 3:00:04 PM UTC-5, Neil Croxford wrote:
folks
I am entering my fist Comp flying an LS4 in June 2019

Now i know i am not going to win and it is all about taking part, but
what can i do to the glider to gain more points

Hi Neil,
Welcome to the competition circuit!
Suggest that you read https://www.ssa.org/files/member/SSA...ion%202011.pdf

See you out there
QT
Old December 24th 18, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:00:04 PM UTC-7, Neil Croxford wrote:
folks
I am entering my fist Comp flying an LS4 in June 2019

Now i know i am not going to win and it is all about taking part, but
what can i do to the glider to gain more points

Finish every task

Comp Monster and Comp Air 6 [email protected] Home Built 0 July 23rd 17 02:50 PM
Comp Monster and Comp Air 6 [email protected] Home Built 0 July 23rd 17 06:16 AM
NSW State Comp pictures are up Mal Soaring 0 November 29th 05 11:59 AM
1000k comp task Mel Dawson Soaring 0 July 5th 05 08:22 PM
Boeing wins MMA comp Neil Gerace Military Aviation 24 June 29th 04 06:51 PM