New owner glitches on the 175B ( Why didn't they see them?)

Old August 27th 03, 01:51 AM
Justin Case

Default New owner glitches on the 175B ( Why didn't they see them?)

Welcome to airplane ownership. I strongly suggest you join the type
club before turning any blank checks over to your mechanic. What you
are seeing may be an easy fix or a common problem that many have seen
before.

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:17:00 -0400, "Wayne"
wrote:

Well, I am still picking the 175B apart, I've had it for more than a
week now so I had to tear it apart. The door latch was broken on the right
side and if you lift the lock, gravity and a little vibration would unlock
it. Got those fixed, pics available
http://12.151.5.4/175b/2003_08_25_door_repair/ .

Here is my other problem that I am wanting to tackle right now. When you
pull the yoke all the way back, it doesn't stay straight when it's clear
back. I would like to put the gust lock pin in and see if while its in, if
the elevator is in the neutral/straight position. However, I can't because
the gust lock part, that holds the pin is missing all together!

If I have someone pull the yoke all the way back and I go back and lift
the elevator, it moves about 2 more inches up before I feel it hit the
stops.I have noticed that there isn't enough elevator to carry the nosewheel
during landing, my partners didn't even notice it, however they land on 6000
foot runways all the time with 80 mph final. With me trying to get into the
little grass strips, I have to add power to be able to flare.

The mechanic that usually works on the plane said I can tear it down and
he would help me set it back to factory spec and do the paperwork necessary.
I am hoping that that adjustment makes the yoke farther forward so when
pulled back against the stops it's still not far enough to cock off to the
side the way it does. I want to replace the gust lock piece too (they call
it a control lock collar). Cessna wants $400.00 for one! They are out of
their minds! I was told to expect to pay half that for a used one. It should
be about $20.00 I think.

Wayne

Old August 27th 03, 01:49 PM
JDupre5762

Here is my other problem that I am wanting to tackle right now. When you
pull the yoke all the way back, it doesn't stay straight when it's clear
back. I would like to put the gust lock pin in and see if while its in, if
the elevator is in the neutral/straight position. However, I can't because
the gust lock part, that holds the pin is missing all together!

On some Cessnas particularly the 182 for sure the control yoke lock does not
lock the elevator in neutral but slightly nose up. Giving the elevator a nose
down force. This is to prevent the aircraft from taking off with the control
yoke lock installed or otherwise locked, for example with something less
visible than the factory lock. Elevators are set to neutral for rigging by
using an external lock, typically a couple of pieces of soft wood and a long
bolt or screw.

If I have someone pull the yoke all the way back and I go back and lift
the elevator, it moves about 2 more inches up before I feel it hit the
stops.

Sounds like the elevator at least is seriously out of rig. Properly rigged the
elevator should hit the stop and then any internal stop under the panel should
hit. Some aircraft don't have an internal stop or only have one. But in any
event if you have two inches of movement on the elevator with someone pulling
the yoke back you have a problem. I would also check the ailerons and rudder
for similar rigging problems.

John Dupre'
Old August 27th 03, 03:04 PM
Wayne

That makes some sense. I would think that the elevator being in the
neutral position should hold level flight at cruise though making it not
have much lift at takeoff speed. That would be the case in an aerobatic
plane that didn't have a negative incidence on the horizontal stabilizer
built in for auto correct.. If neutral at takeoff caused a climb, then
cruise speed would take a negitive force either by the elevator, or by the
trim tab to keep the nose down at cruise which would make extra drag. I
don't doubt that the gust lock holds it negitive but I don't think it would
be for that reason.
Hope that's worded okay, hard to explain.

On some Cessnas particularly the 182 for sure the control yoke lock does

not
lock the elevator in neutral but slightly nose up. Giving the elevator a

nose
down force. This is to prevent the aircraft from taking off with the

control
yoke lock installed or otherwise locked, for example with something less
visible than the factory lock. Elevators are set to neutral for rigging

by
using an external lock, typically a couple of pieces of soft wood and a

long
bolt or screw.

Agreed, we will check it over comepletely.
Wayne