Rolling a Non Aerobat 150

Old June 16th 05, 04:29 AM
Sport Pilot

Skylune wrote:
Yeah. Great point. Everyone knows that the most dangerous time is when
you drive to the airport.

Cars are somewhat safer, don't kid yourself. Aircraft are 50's tech
when it comes to safety. Not that I wouldn't fly in one.

Old June 16th 05, 04:37 AM
Sport Pilot

I don't think gust speeds count against the max extension speed anyway.
The average would be accepted. Besides the gust will most likely be
an up or down draft which whould not put much added stress on the
retract system.

Old June 16th 05, 05:36 AM
Skywise

"Sport Pilot" wrote in news:1118892576.334534.300440
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Skylune wrote:
Yeah. Great point. Everyone knows that the most dangerous time is when
you drive to the airport.

Cars are somewhat safer, don't kid yourself. Aircraft are 50's tech
when it comes to safety. Not that I wouldn't fly in one.

Gee....every study I've ever heard about indicates otherwise. DO
you know of a study that supports your position?

I'm willing to change my position if there's evidence to support it.

Brian

Blog: http://www.skywise711.com/Blog

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old June 16th 05, 06:10 AM
Peter

Skylune wrote:

Yeah. Great point. Everyone knows that the most dangerous time is when
you drive to the airport.

Cars are somewhat safer, don't kid yourself. Aircraft are 50's tech
when it comes to safety. Not that I wouldn't fly in one.

Gee....every study I've ever heard about indicates otherwise. DO
you know of a study that supports your position?

Are you talking about general aviation or scheduled airlines? This
study of comparative risks is over 10 years old, but I doubt the numbers
have changed too much since then:
http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/comparat.html

Old June 16th 05, 11:39 PM
Skywise

Peter wrote in news:GZudnWpDVupzlCzfRVn-
:

http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/comparat.html

Interesting. Thank you for the link.

Assuming the information is correct, then apparently what
I was hearing about was in regard to airliner service only.

Hmmm...so riding my Harley on the streets of the LA is
supposed to be nearly twice as safe as GA? For some reason
I have difficulty with that assessment, but they're the
experts.

I know I'd certainly FEEL much safer in a small plane with me
at the controls (when I get properly trained of course).

Old June 17th 05, 12:08 AM
George Patterson

Matt Whiting wrote:

And I'm happy that you are happy with substandard training.

Uh .. That's *standard* training, thank you very much.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 17th 05, 08:22 PM
Sport Pilot

Skywise wrote:
Peter wrote in news:GZudnWpDVupzlCzfRVn-
:

http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/comparat.html

Interesting. Thank you for the link.

Assuming the information is correct, then apparently what
I was hearing about was in regard to airliner service only.

Hmmm...so riding my Harley on the streets of the LA is
supposed to be nearly twice as safe as GA? For some reason
I have difficulty with that assessment, but they're the
experts.

I know I'd certainly FEEL much safer in a small plane with me
at the controls (when I get properly trained of course).

Brian

Blog: http://www.skywise711.com/Blog

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Years ago, I think it was Aviation Consumer or something like that, had
VFR flying as being only somewhat less safe than an automobile, but IFR
flying was much worse than a motorcycle. I would guess that that a
large GA jet would be an exception to that.

Old June 17th 05, 09:19 PM
Skywise

"Sport Pilot" wrote in news:1119036176.775030.215500

Skywise wrote:
[...]

All this brings up a question.

Is it easier to get a pilots license than a drivers license?

I'm talking purely from the POV of being able to pass the test.
All else being equal.

Or put another way, is it easier for stupid idiots to get into
an airplane?

My thinking is that flying is safer because of the training,
training that is not given in cars. It seems to me that people
get their drivers licenses WAAAAY too easily. I would hope it's
much harder to qualify for a pilots license. If it is, from
that POV would it not be safer to fly than to drive? That is,
a pilot is much more qualified to fly than a driver is qualified
to drive?

Of course there can still be more problems driving simply due
to the numbers of cars on the road. The more encounters there
are, the greater chance of a problem.

Also, flying can have lots of problems because the vehicle
is more complex, there's more variables to go wrong.

Old June 18th 05, 12:28 AM
George Patterson

Skywise wrote:

Is it easier to get a pilots license than a drivers license?

No. Anyone with the brains to graduate high school can study for the NJ drivers'
license test for about 3 hours and ace it in less than 20 minutes. Try that with
the PPC exam.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.

Rolling a Non Aerobat 150 Jose Piloting 1 May 2nd 05 03:59 PM
Rolling a Non Aerobat 150 Larry Dighera Piloting 1 April 29th 05 07:31 PM
Rolling a Non Aerobat 150 kage Owning 0 April 29th 05 04:26 AM
Rolling a Non Aerobat 150 Larry Dighera Piloting 4 April 28th 05 05:06 PM
??Build rolling tool chest? Michael Horowitz Owning 15 January 27th 05 04:56 AM