Can there be false lobes on a *localizer*?

Old October 24th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Can there be false lobes on a *localizer*?

Tauno Voipio wrote:

The localizer signal is a combination of three signals

Whoah. Hang on. I've learned (from appropriate FAA publications) that
the localizer was made up of two signals, one modulated at 150 Hz and
the other at 90 Hz, each sent in lobes on either side of the centerline
and the localizer reciever just compares the relative strength of each
signal. Is that right, wrong, or overly simplified?

thanks,
Peter

Old October 24th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Yes, it happens. We have that problem here in Billings. It is for that
reason that our RY28R ILS has no procedure turn. It's also why I have
two marks on my radar scope, one north and one south. The aircraft must
be at or inside these marks beore I can turn an aircraft on the
localizer and issue the clearance. If I do it too soon the aircraft may
grab the wrong localizer.

wrote:
I recall reading about false lobes on the glideslope, and have seen it
firsthand doing practice approaches in VMC. I thought it was due to antenna
sidelobes, and thus the localizer might be subject to a similar phenomenon. I have
yet to see anyone reference this, so is there a technical reason why they don't exist?
One of the localizer transmitter frequencies have a different antenna pattern to
interleave the sidelobes perhaps?

-Cory

Old November 17th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:35:41 GMT, Tauno Voipio

Tauno Voipio wrote:

The localizer signal is a combination of three signals

Whoah. Hang on. I've learned (from appropriate FAA publications) that
the localizer was made up of two signals, one modulated at 150 Hz and
the other at 90 Hz, each sent in lobes on either side of the centerline
and the localizer reciever just compares the relative strength of each
signal. Is that right, wrong, or overly simplified?

That's right - after the three components are combined in
the receiver antenna.

All the three components carry both 90 Hz and 150 Hz modulation,
but they are all different in such a way that being off the
centerline causes an increase of the modulation depth (sound
stregth) one modulation frequency and a decrease of the other.
This is where the phase differences are needed.

A very interesting discussion and nice to have a technical
explanation. It makes more sense as a simple signal strength change
would be likely to be unreliable.

Thanks for the explanation of the glideslope antenna. I always thought
it was the ground reflection that caused the unwanted lobe and had not
appreciated the ground was deliberately used to simulate the
underground antenna as well as introducing the extra unwanted lobe(s).