What type is this tandem plane?

Old November 29th 09, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Oliver Arend

Default What type is this tandem plane?

http://ruben.members.selfnet.de/foru...file.php?id=90

Seen in the Technik-Museum in Speyer, Germany. Searching for the
registration D-EAAQ turns up Cessna 172 and Klemm L35, so that can't
be it. There's the logo of the Air Power 09 Steiermark on both sides;
their site doesn't show anything about this plane.

It's very similar to the Rutan Quickie, but the main gear arrangement
is different. I'm sure it's an experimental, though.

Oliver
Old November 29th 09, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Ham

It looks like a Dragonfly to me. Composite canard, VW engine. It was/is
a plans-built aircraft that came out shortly after the Q2/Q200. Same
concept as the Q2, but not nearly as hot with lower landing and cruise
speeds.

While Rutan did the airframe design for the Quickie, the Q2 was done by
Gary LaGare (sp?). Rutan didn't like the finished design of either of
these airplanes, especially the Q2/Q200.

One sees tricycle versions of the Q2/Q200. The Tri-Q was an aftermarket kit.

Jim

Old November 30th 09, 10:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Garry O

Oliver Arend wrote:
http://ruben.members.selfnet.de/foru...file.php?id=90

Seen in the Technik-Museum in Speyer, Germany. Searching for the
registration D-EAAQ turns up Cessna 172 and Klemm L35, so that can't
be it. There's the logo of the Air Power 09 Steiermark on both sides;
their site doesn't show anything about this plane.

It's very similar to the Rutan Quickie, but the main gear arrangement
is different. I'm sure it's an experimental, though.

Oliver

probably correct
http://www.greatplainsas.com/dragon.html
I have a friend with one and he replaced his VW engine with a 6 cylinder
Jabiru engine, better economy and faster as well.

--
Flying RA Aus, because its cheaper and I can do it more often :-)

Old December 1st 09, 09:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Oliver Arend

Hard to tell. Some Dragonflies seem to have the main gear arranged
like the Q2, that's on the tips of the forward wing, others have the
"regular" main gear. What's also lacking from both the Q2s and the
Dragonflies is the third, very small horizontal surface on top of the
vertical stabilizer. It was probably just added because of CG
issues ...

Thanks,
Oliver
Old December 1st 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Ham

Oliver Arend wrote:
Hard to tell. Some Dragonflies seem to have the main gear arranged
like the Q2, that's on the tips of the forward wing, others have the
"regular" main gear. What's also lacking from both the Q2s and the
Dragonflies is the third, very small horizontal surface on top of the
vertical stabilizer. It was probably just added because of CG
issues ...

With the Q2, the T-tail was added early on by some builders to help with
elevator authority when the canard was loaded with bugs or when in the
rain. Quickie Aircraft then came out with a design that added vortex
generators along the top of the canard to fix this. The vortex
generators really work. There is still some controversy on whether the
T-tail worked.

Later with the Q-200 Quickie Aircraft changed the canard airfoil which
fixed the problem for good.

I don't know about the Dragonfly.

Jim

Thanks,
Oliver

Old December 1st 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anyolmouse

"Oliver Arend" wrote in message
http://ruben.members.selfnet.de/foru...file.php?id=90

Seen in the Technik-Museum in Speyer, Germany. Searching for the
registration D-EAAQ turns up Cessna 172 and Klemm L35, so that can't
be it. There's the logo of the Air Power 09 Steiermark on both sides;
their site doesn't show anything about this plane.

It's very similar to the Rutan Quickie, but the main gear arrangement
is different. I'm sure it's an experimental, though.

Oliver

What is the difference between a Dragonfly and a Q-2?
The Q-2 (or Q-200, or "Q-bird" generically) has a more rounded fuselage
bottom that has a distinct longitudinal curvature to it. Other than
that, it is very difficult to tell them apart unless you are up close.
The Q-birds have shorter wings (thus higher wing loading) and fly faster
than a Dragonfly. Their instrument panels are larger. Other than that,
the canard configuration, the location of the fuel tank, the center
stick, and many other characteristics make the 2 airplanes look so
similar that SOMEONE must have been cheating when they designed their
plane. Gary LaGare is the designer of the Q-2, and Bob Walters the
designer of the Dragonfly. Both of them copied Burt Rutan's
single-seater Quickie design.

Above from this page-- http://www.davemorris.com/dave/dfly-faq.html
When I visited Rex Taylor at Eloy, AZ. in 1984 the trike gear was just
being developed. He said that some pilots were having trouble with the
wide stance gear so they were making the trike gear as an option.

--
We have met the enemy and he is us-- Pogo

Anyolmouse

Old December 1st 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
rich[_2_]

Default What type is this tandem plane? It's not Tandem

Tandem? it's a side-by-side. Tandem refers to a front-back seating
arrangement. It looks like a Dragonfly for sure, and those were all
side-by-side.

Old December 2nd 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Hix[_2_]

wrote:

http://ruben.members.selfnet.de/foru...file.php?id=90

Seen in the Technik-Museum in Speyer, Germany. Searching for the
registration D-EAAQ turns up Cessna 172 and Klemm L35, so that can't
be it. There's the logo of the Air Power 09 Steiermark on both sides;
their site doesn't show anything about this plane.

It's very similar to the Rutan Quickie, but the main gear arrangement
is different. I'm sure it's an experimental, though.

Oliver

Tandem? it's a side-by-side. Tandem refers to a front-back seating
arrangement. It looks like a Dragonfly for sure, and those were all
side-by-side.

It's a tandem wing configuration design, which is what I understood the
OP to refer to.

Tandem can refer to more than seating configuration, including things
like tandem landing gear, like the B-52's dual tandem gear (with
outriggers).
Old December 9th 09, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Neal Fulco

On Nov 29, 12:44*pm, Oliver Arend wrote:
http://ruben.members.selfnet.de/foru...file.php?id=90

Seen in the Technik-Museum in Speyer, Germany. Searching for the
registration D-EAAQ turns up Cessna 172 and Klemm L35, so that can't
be it. There's the logo of the Air Power 09 Steiermark on both sides;
their site doesn't show anything about this plane.

It's very similar to the Rutan Quickie, but the main gear arrangement
is different. I'm sure it's an experimental, though.

Oliver

Yep, that's a Dragonfly. The outrigger main gear was sometimes a
handful for some pilots, so some modified the canard and put the gear
where you see it. Gary LeGare's Q2 was built more for speed, but the
Dragonfly more for efficiency. I believe it originally was designed
for and had good performance with a 45 h.p. VW engine, but most went
for more h.p. I built and flew Rutan's Q1. Nice plane, especially
after I replaced the Onan with a Rotax. Great fun to fly.

Neal
Old January 8th 10, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_3_]

wrote:

http://ruben.members.selfnet.de/foru...file.php?id=90

Seen in the Technik-Museum in Speyer, Germany. Searching for the
registration D-EAAQ turns up Cessna 172 and Klemm L35, so that can't
be it. There's the logo of the Air Power 09 Steiermark on both sides;
their site doesn't show anything about this plane.

It's very similar to the Rutan Quickie, but the main gear arrangement
is different. I'm sure it's an experimental, though.

Oliver

it is probably a Quickie Q2 with a mod for a non typical engine.

I'm told that you can pick the quickie aircraft from the dragonfly by
looking at the underside of the aft fuselage.
the quickies are curved and the dragonflys are straight.

Stealth Pilot

Tandem-wing Airplanes Phil J Piloting 69 February 9th 08 03:37 PM
What type of plane is this? - Chicos.jpg (1/1) Rio Aviation Photos 7 January 28th 08 02:48 PM
What type of plane is this? Rio Aviation Photos 0 January 28th 08 02:18 AM
Yaw control in a tandem rotor helo? Ash Wyllie Piloting 0 January 14th 07 01:33 AM
Tandem Mi-26? PDR Military Aviation 6 June 6th 04 10:49 AM