They call it the impossible turn.

Old February 12th 10, 08:44 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default They call it the impossible turn.

george writes:

Why are you obsessed with a part of flight that has no meaning to you?

Obviously it has meaning to me, or I would not discuss it. It's important to
be prepared for any eventuality when flying.
Old February 12th 10, 08:50 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Feb 13, 6:40*am, george wrote:
On Feb 13, 4:58*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

If the area in front of the airplane is truly flat, smooth, and safe, so much
so that there's no harm in landing on it, I wonder how many pilots would still
be tempted to turn around. If you know you can land ahead off the runway with
no damage to the airplane, is there still any reason to turn around?

Why are you obsessed with a part of flight that has no meaning to you?
Just hit Control ALT Delete and walk away.
Leave the real stuff to real pilots.
The good and even great advice that has been handed out in here you
have ignored or turned into a game of semantics.
Go forth and multipy !

Do you really want to encourage him to multiply ?( not that there
would be a snowballs chance in hell of that happening- that would
require him having sex with a human being and you cant do that over a
computer)
Why is he obsessed with something that has no meaning to him.? Do a
google on Aspergers Syndrome.
Old February 12th 10, 08:56 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
george writes:

Why are you obsessed with a part of flight that has no meaning to you?

Obviously it has meaning to me, or I would not discuss it. It's important to
be prepared for any eventuality when flying.

Yeah to a real pilot in a real airplane, but not to a simmer.

You've already said you avoid things like VFR traffic and NORDO aircraft,
which are very common in real flying, so why the obsession with simulating
the dreaded "impossible turn", which is very rare by comparison in real
flying?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old February 12th 10, 09:19 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Feb 13, 6:44*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
george writes:
Why are you obsessed with a part of flight that has no meaning to you?

Obviously it has meaning to me, or I would not discuss it. It's important to
be prepared for any eventuality when flying.

So do you wear a parachute when you are playing simulators? or do you
have a ballistic one attached to your PC?

Old February 12th 10, 09:23 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Feb 13, 2:58*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
WayPoint writes:
At many many airports you don't have that luxury because of rough
vegetation, industrial & residential built up areas.
Turning back is sometimes the only choice that will give you and others the
best opportunity to survive.

Obviously, if there are only jagged rocks or other unpleasant things in front
of you, then your only option is to try to turn. But many pilots get in
trouble because they don't want to do expensive damage to their airplanes, and
they end up killing themselves in an attempt to save on money or insurance.
The phenomenon is not limited to pilots.

To a certain extent one can rationalize this by thinking that broken bones may
heal but broken airplanes must be fixed or replaced. There is a logic to that,
but the probabilities and other factors are often incorrectly assessed by the
person making the decision. The probability of dying or serious, life-altering
injury is far higher than the pilot is willing to admit. Optimism encourages
him to make a bad decision.

If the area in front of the airplane is truly flat, smooth, and safe, so much
so that there's no harm in landing on it, I wonder how many pilots would still
be tempted to turn around. If you know you can land ahead off the runway with
no damage to the airplane, is there still any reason to turn around?

Can you tell that an area in front of you is truly flat smooth and
safe from 500 feet altitude? If you can, can you also explain why
real pilots are taught to do precautionary search and landing passes
at 100 feet, if they need to make an emergency landing but still have
the power/time to do so?

Old February 12th 10, 09:25 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

terry writes:

So do you wear a parachute when you are playing simulators?

No more so than I would in real life.
Old February 12th 10, 09:33 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

terry writes:

Can you tell that an area in front of you is truly flat smooth and
safe from 500 feet altitude?

You can get a pretty good idea, and if it's reasonably close to flat and
smooth, it's still a better choice than trying to turn around.

If you can, can you also explain why
real pilots are taught to do precautionary search and landing passes
at 100 feet, if they need to make an emergency landing but still have
the power/time to do so?

If they don't have the power to turn around, they definitely don't have the
power to make any precautionary passes at 100 feet.
Old February 12th 10, 09:48 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Feb 13, 7:33*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
terry writes:
Can you tell that an area in front of you is truly flat smooth and
safe from 500 feet altitude?

You can get a pretty good idea,

How good an idea? How well does MS Flight simulator simulate what
ground detail a pilot would see from 500 feet looking over the nose of
the aircraft? We know you have never flown an aircraft, but have you
ever even been a passenger in the front seat of an aircraft and
experienced the view from 500 feet? And how long do you think you
would have from 500 feet with no power to make a judgement of whether
that peice of seemingly flat smooth safe land is really that? and what
would you do when you get to 400 feet and suddenly discover there is a
power line slap bang across the approach path or a bunch of kids
playing chase? you have no idea.