Why We Lost The Vietnam War

Old January 25th 04, 08:36 PM
ArtKramr

If a more powerful engine (and thicker skin) and oval windows used in the
initial design, it would have worked very well. But!!!! Many subsequent
planes would have fallen out of the sky with the problems the Comet had in
metal fatigue, etc. In hindsight the Comets research made all jet planes
far safer, and saved many lives.

Y'mean the Comet is why we lost the Vietnam War????

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old January 25th 04, 08:37 PM
John Mullen

Ed Rasimus wrote:

What does the cross-posting of this DeHavilland Comet discussion to
rec.aviation.military under the subject "Why We lost the Vietnam War"
mean????????

I take responsibility for this. I thought that as Comet and B707 were
both used as military variants it would be of interest to some here. No
idea where the subject line came from! Change it if you wish...

John

Old January 25th 04, 08:40 PM
John Mullen

ArtKramr wrote:

If a more powerful engine (and thicker skin) and oval windows used in the
initial design, it would have worked very well. But!!!! Many subsequent
planes would have fallen out of the sky with the problems the Comet had in
metal fatigue, etc. In hindsight the Comets research made all jet planes
far safer, and saved many lives.

Y'mean the Comet is why we lost the Vietnam War????

If you'd had the Comet, you'd have lost it even faster than you did!

John

Old January 25th 04, 11:39 PM
Mike Marron

(ArtKramr) wrote:

There were 11 million of us under arms that made that will happen.

Win or lose; 140 million Americans (U.S. population in 1945) and
214 million Americans (U.S. population in 1975) made it happen.

Old January 26th 04, 12:48 AM
Spiv

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

IT was a larger plane with 10 years of the Comet before it to fall back

on.
The world's first transatlantic service was by the Comet not the 707.

Wrong, the pressurised Boeing Stratocruiser and Lockheed
Constellations were running transatlantic services before either
Comet or the 707.

We are on about jets. Can't you focus for once?

The Comet IV lacked the range to fly the
Atlantic non stop and the first jet non stop service was launched
in August 1959 using the Boeing 727-320

Can't you do anything right?
http://user.itl.net/~colonial/comet/history.html

On the 4th October 1958 two B.O.A.C. Comet 4s inaugurated the first regular
transatlantic jet passenger service - another first for British innovation.

Better
plane? The Nimrod, which still fly's today, is a "Comet".

---