Using XCOM and Flight Line radios in certificated gliders

Old August 21st 11, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Johansen

Default Using XCOM and Flight Line radios in certificated gliders

On Aug 19, 1:22*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

A customer has asked me whether or not it is legal to install and use a
non-FAA-approved radio such as the XCOM 760 or FlightLine FL-760 in a type
certificated glider. *XCOM's statement on the subject is copied below. *Some
aircraft mechanics and avionics shops seem OK with installing those radios
and other flat refuse to. *I don't have anything similar from FlightLine.

Below is an excerpt from a note received from XCOM on this subject.

* * "Our aircraft radio is not TSO'd but it does have the necessary FAA and
FCC approvals for fitting into certified aircraft. In fact there are
hundreds in the USA fitted to aircraft in either the standard or the primary
category." *He copied me on the FAA and FCC certificates - which are on my
web site hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/xcom.htm.

The customer has an A&P that is very hesitant to approve the use of those
radios - unless someone can show paperwork showing that they were received
approval to do so - such as a 337 that was submitted and approved.

I should know more about this, but I have received so many differing
opinions, that I don't know what to believe.

I imagine I'll get a million different opinions on this subject, and I
welcome them. *But opinions are not what the customer needs. *He needs
specific examples and paperwork - if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Paul,

I work for an avionics shop.....we have installed several flightline
radios in gliders. My boss simply fills out a 337, and requests a
"field approval" from the FAA.....the FAA requires "approved data" in
order to issue the field approval...usually the approved data is that
we reference the manufacturer's install manual.

We typically get approval from the FAA the same day, (our all time
record so far is approval in 40 minutes!!) in the form of a fax, with
the actual paperwork arriving in a few days by mail....My boss has had
a long time favorable relationship with the FAA guy, so they work
together and get this stuff done.... easily and quickly.

I have heard of people trying to do a do-it-yourself-installation of
equipment and trying to get FAA approval....with poor results and
taking months.....this is because the FAA does not know the person,
and has no "track record" with the person, therefore reluctant to
approve.

Any reputable avionics shop should have a good working relationship
with the FAA and would have no trouble getting approval..

Cookie