SAFETY ALERT

Old August 27th 11, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Default DEHYDRATION STUPIDITY (was SAFETY ALERT)

On Aug 26, 6:01*pm, drbdanieli wrote:
On Aug 26, 10:34*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:

*hazards of dehydration. And I don't know if

JJ's ending example above is of Paul Schweizer's accident in a Texas-based
1-26 'Nationals,'

No, this one was at our annual Air Sailing Sports Contest. I was the
CD that year and I caught the pilot climbing in his 1-26 without a
parachute. I told him he would have to wear a chute in a sanctioned
contest and he reluctantly went and got one. After the accident he was
alone in the desert with badly broken legs and ankles and started
going into shock. He pooped the parachute I made him wear and wrapped
it around himself. That might have saved his life, because it was
quite some time before he was found by a car that was driving on a
seldom used dirt road in the desert (White Rock Road). We launched Air
Sailing Air (tow plane) about 6:PM, with no results, but Vern was
already in the hospital at that time.
Drink will help you Think,
JJ

Hey JJ,

Do you remember were the info is on the research that Chuck Fischer
did on dehydration? *Seems like *a lot of contest pilots gave blood
for his project and if I remember correctly, everyone was way more
dehydrated than they thought they were. *Also, that wrecked Mini-
Nimbus I picked up years ago came from an East Coast pilot who was
severly dehydrated. *Nearly killed him and it would be easy to also
pass this off as pilot error has he not survived and admitted to
flying with the vents closed during the contest.

Barry- Hide quoted text -

I remember the study that Chuck Fisher did, but have no idea where it
could be found. Dr. Walt Cannon has given several presentations that
suggest that the pull-up after a long hot romp in the desert is enough
to shut down a dehydrated mind. That might explain the finish line
accident at Uvalde in '86 where the pilot made a good finish at 20
feet with plenty of speed, then pulled up and just kept flying north
and crashed in the housing area north of the airport. Kemo Sobe and I
helped get the 20 out of the street. The nose of the ship hit a pickup
truck's left door, shoved the truck into the curb and broke both right
side axles...........the whole thing acted like a big shock absorber,
pilot wasn't injured too badly.
I got my LS-6 from insurance salvage at that contest (first 15 meter
nats at Uvalde) after the pilot got low before the gate was even open
and landed in an 8 foot high corn field. Dehydration was suspected
Cheers,
JJ