Will the new government have any effect on GA?

Old November 16th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tabor

Default Will the new government have any effect on GA?

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:51:16 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:

Isn't that the Fair Tax bill?

Yes, it is. www.FairTax.org I am the State Director for Virginia for
the AFFT volunteers.

It would fix so many things that are wrong well beyond the tax system
itself.

Don

Virginia - the only State with a flag rated
"R" for partial nudity and graphic violence.
Old November 17th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

It is now at least 28 months away and more if the voters
don't turn out the Democrats in 2008.

Old November 17th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tabor

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:00:48 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:

It is now at least 28 months away and more if the voters
don't turn out the Democrats in 2008.

Actually, if we can get the Dems to take a serious look at it, the
FairTax has much to offer from their perspective. Unlike the current
system, which places a hidden tax burden of 28.34% on the backs of the
working poor (7.65% FICA plus 22.4% loss of purchasing power of the
remainder of their income), the FairTax truly untaxes the poor.

It will also recover many of the outsourced manufacturing jobs their
union workers are losing.

I would not be a bit surprised to see the Dems rename it and make it
their own.

Old November 17th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
LWG

I heard an interesting argument a few years ago that the primary purpose of
the tax laws in America is to redistribute wealth, which is of course
obvious. But the second is much more subtle: To keep people from ever
figuring out how much they pay. I have this discussion with my kids. I ask
them to tell me how much they are paying in taxes, and we look at things
like receipts and cell phone bills. Then I tell them about property taxes,
income taxes, excise taxes and the like. If the people ever really figured
out what they paid to the government, there would be another revolution.

Old November 17th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tabor

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:49:35 -0500, "LWG"
wrote:

I heard an interesting argument a few years ago that the primary purpose of
the tax laws in America is to redistribute wealth, which is of course
obvious. But the second is much more subtle: To keep people from ever
figuring out how much they pay. I have this discussion with my kids. I ask
them to tell me how much they are paying in taxes, and we look at things
like receipts and cell phone bills. Then I tell them about property taxes,
income taxes, excise taxes and the like. If the people ever really figured
out what they paid to the government, there would be another revolution.

Its worse than you think.

It's too easy to get hung up on who writes the check to the government
and miss where the burden really falls. Keep in mind that the real
burden is on the person who has to trade more of his life and labor
for what he needs.

By far the largest tax burden any of us bears is the tax component
hidden in the price of goods and services. No business, or individual,
has a money tree from which to pluck his tax dollars. Every dime
income tax on businesses or individuals is passed on down the chain of
production to add to the price of whatever is being sold. That is our
true tax burden, the loss of purchasing power when we buy what we
need. On average, that is 22.4% for Federal. Add in State and local
and the real tax burden, hidden in the price of goods and services, is
between 40% and 48%. And it is 100% regressive, applied to the first
dollar of income, no exemptions, no deductions.

And yeah, if people had the economic savvy to see that, there would be
another revolution.

Old November 17th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The Dems don't care a whit about the poor, they just want
their votes. To that end the current tax system is tweaked
to transfer money to the poor. That is why the "rich" [read
college grads with jobs] pay 75% of the revenue and the poor
pay less than 10%.

Old November 17th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

Let's face it, the country is 276 years old do we really need any more laws?

276?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old November 17th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default POL Will the new government have any effect on GA?

laws should automatically
expire after a year and the politicians should have to debate and pass
them again if they want them to be renewed...

They'll happily do that on our dime.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old November 17th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

I ask [my kids]
to tell me how much they are paying in taxes, and we look at things
like receipts and cell phone bills. Then I tell them about property taxes,
income taxes, excise taxes and the like. If the people ever really figured
out what they paid to the government, there would be another revolution.

Actually, inflation creates many of the taxes by itself. If you buy an
investment property (or stock or gold or anything), and inflation
happens, then even if that property has not changed its value with
respect to salaries, bread, land, and other "cost of living" things, it
will have gone up in price. When you sell, you reap what is erroniously
called a "capital gain", even though you haven't gained anything. It
should more correctly be called a "Capitol gain". You get more dollars,
but you need more dollars to pay the same rent.

If you just keep your dollars, their value goes down. If you put your
dollars in the bank, you get interest (to keep up with inflation) but
you get taxed on the interest. The way out of it is to simply do all
your financial transactions directly in gold.

That's against the law. I wonder why.

Jose
Old November 17th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 04:24:38 +0000, Jose wrote:
They'll happily do that on our dime.

Well, we're paying them the same whether they come up with new laws or
they do nothing... I'm enough of a realist to know that in many cases, the
best we can hope for is for them to accomplish *nothing*... I'm sure that
there are quite a few thousand laws on the books that really don't need to
be there...

--
"Is it possible for the voices in my head to use email from now on?"