Some bad controllers

Old March 8th 04, 01:01 PM
Matthew S. Whiting

Mike Rapoport wrote:
If you are not prepared to fly in "nasty clouds" then you have no business
filing, requesting or flying IFR.

Depends on your definition of nasty. I consider t-storm, funnel clouds,
and clouds with temps below freezing to be nasty and I won't fly into
them, at least not intentionally. I hardly think that means I have no
business flying IFR.

Not sure what the OPs definition of nasty is, but that is mine.

Matt

Old March 8th 04, 02:28 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Michael 182" wrote in message
Jeff:

I fly into Phoenix all the time - I've never run into unfriendly
controllers. Busy, yes; unfriendly, no. I have been vectored all over the
place, but I assume that was for traffic or arrival/departure corridors or
some logical reason.

Phoenix has nine control towered airports under it's Class B airspace
including Luke AFB and Williams-Gateway (formerly Williams AFB) which is the
cargo hub for a 400 miles radius. PHX, during the winter months, is about
the sixth busiest airport in the country. Damn right it's busy

Old March 8th 04, 02:31 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jeff" wrote in message
ya he was so busy he almost let someone fly into me.

no matter how you dice it, that should not have happened. Phoenix does not

get much IMC, its
sunny about 350 days a year there.

Those 15 cloudy days we have allocated each year must have been used up this
past two weeks. Rained four days of the past week and a half and crappy
overcast most of the rest of the time.

Friday was 57, Saturday was 62, Sunday was 82 and we're supposed to hit 90
today.

Old March 8th 04, 02:32 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Mike Adams" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:

no matter how you dice it, that should not have happened. Phoenix does
not get much IMC, its sunny about 350 days a year there.

This is the key to the whole situation. PHX weather is so good, the Tracon
folks just don't have to deal with it very often.

Even makes the driver nuts....or more so than usual.

Old March 8th 04, 03:04 PM

Jeff wrote:

it wasn't a popup, I had it on file thru FSS. ABQ before the hand off asked me
if I wanted it then or if I wanted it from phoenix, I told him I was ok at that
time and that I would get it from phoenix for my decent into williams gateway.
Boy thats a mistake I wont make again.

You've answered your own question, sort of. On a composite flight plan the system
is designed for you to go to the IFR portion with center or FSS. Approach control
can take a pop-up easier than trying to activate a composite IFR flight plan.

I think you're being way too hard on the controller in view of your attempt to push
the system. Had you been on an en route IFR clearance with ABQ Center you would not
have placed yourself into never-never land.

Old March 8th 04, 03:05 PM

Jeff wrote:

another main problem I had was him letting another plane get so close in IMC that
he had to give me a traffic alert. what happened to this seperation I was suppose
to be getting.

You pushed him and he probably tried to fit you in, which resulted in the traffic
aleart. Have you ever visited the TRACON, plugged in, and asked about the handoff
procedures from center to approach control for IFR arrivals?

Old March 8th 04, 03:07 PM

Jeff wrote:

those people out at SoCal are very good in my opinion.
I always pick up my clearance when going into the LA basin at the HEC VOR
since that's where the ziggy3 arrival begins.

If you do that at HEC you are not doing it directly with SoCal TRACON. I
presume you are doing it with LA Center or FSS.

Old March 8th 04, 03:31 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

On that frequency. Controllers often work many frequencies,
and do things besides talk on the radio.

When controllers are working many frequencies they typically broadcast on
all of them simultaneously. You won't hear other aircraft, but you will
hear the controller.

Old March 8th 04, 03:35 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in message

It is not unusual for a controller to work more than one frequency.
That fact that you didn't hear any other traffic, doesn't mean there
wasn't other traffic.

The fact that he didn't hear the controller transmit to other aircraft
suggests there was no other traffic.

Old March 8th 04, 03:37 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...

Jeff, with regard to "no one was talking except me". Be aware
that a controller can be handling 2 or even 3 frequencies, and
also depending upon how his airspace is set up he may need to be
doing a lot of coordination by phone.

So he might not be talking to anyone else on your freq, but he
still could be busier than a 1 armed paper hanger.

If he's got aircraft on other frequencies you'll hear his transmissions to
those other aircraft on your frequency, you just won't hear the other
aircraft.