Headsets for hard-of-hearing pilots

Old February 25th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Headsets for hard-of-hearing pilots

Hello,
I am 27 years old and am hard-of-hearing. I recently passed the
hearing portion for a third-class medical (barely), but I think I may
have gotten more lucky than not. The AME I had did the old "tone" test
where you raise your hand whenever you hear a certain tone in the
headset. I seem to do OK with that, hwoever, the problem is with HIGH
FREQUENCIES...I have a hard time with speech discernment.

With that said, is there a certain headset on the market that helps
people with my condition? I have had it recommended to me to look for
headsets that have Enhanced Voice Intelligibility (EVI) to help with
speech. An example is: http://pilot-usa.com/ .

Anyone have any experience with them? Is it really a fake enhancement
(such as those phones that merely just increase speech volume). It's
not more volume I need, it's clearer and enhanced speech
intelligibility.

Thanks for any advice or tips you can provide. I'm going to start
flight training next month in a taildragger (I hope to buy a CUB) and
I am so excited!
Old February 25th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Try out a Lightspeed ZULU. The combination of being the quietest ANR
headset on the market plus the ZULU having excellent high-frequency
spectrum response might be of benefit to you. They are rather pricey
at $850 each but you get what you pay for.

Hearing Aids Casey Wilson Piloting 9 February 20th 06 02:40 AM
Instructors With Hearing Impairment Roy Bourgeois Soaring 0 March 14th 04 09:27 PM
Instructors With Hearing Impairment Roy Bourgeois Soaring 0 March 14th 04 12:00 AM
Hearing the alternator Michael 182 Owning 8 February 4th 04 07:31 PM
ANR Headsets suitable for heli pilots in training? Kill Bill Rotorcraft 6 September 16th 03 02:17 AM