More fun from France!

Old November 24th 04, 09:12 AM
G Farris

Default More fun from France!

VFR this time.
The French Aviation Authority publishes really excellent VFR approach plates.
They are very serious about it - the revision cycles are monthly, and the
level of detail and accuracy is impressive.

Nevertheless, there is one airport I don't really want to fly into.
Something foreboding about it . . .

http://faris.nerim.net/Bale.jpg

Old November 24th 04, 03:41 PM
Doug

And just what would that be? I mean it's an airport. People land
airplanes there. They don't put airports where you CAN'T land an
airplane. Foreboding? Like it's jinxed or something?

Old November 24th 04, 03:50 PM
Jose

Nevertheless, there is one airport I don't really want to fly into.
Something foreboding about it . . .

http://faris.nerim.net/Bale.jpg

And just what would that be? I mean it's an airport...

I think he was referring to the coffin-like shape of the airport symbol.

Jose
--
Freedom. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old November 24th 04, 03:55 PM
Icebound

"G Farris" wrote in message
VFR this time.
The French Aviation Authority publishes really excellent VFR approach
plates.
They are very serious about it - the revision cycles are monthly, and the
level of detail and accuracy is impressive.

Nevertheless, there is one airport I don't really want to fly into.
Something foreboding about it . . .

http://faris.nerim.net/Bale.jpg

Nice plates... they don't indicate the runway directions on these plates
though, nor right-or-left-pattern requirements??? One would think
right-hand for rwy 16?

This should be a piece of cake :-) lots of visual cues :-)

What does the red target at about 1.4 DME BLM VOR represent? I am supposing
not a hazard since there is no height shown???

Old November 24th 04, 04:05 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Icebound" said:
"G Farris" wrote in message

http://faris.nerim.net/Bale.jpg

Nice plates... they don't indicate the runway directions on these plates
though, nor right-or-left-pattern requirements??? One would think
right-hand for rwy 16?

Look at what's showing through the thin paper - it looks like a very
detailed airport diagram below it.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"An NT server can be run by an idiot, and usually is." -- Tom Holub, a.h.b-o-i
Old November 24th 04, 04:55 PM
G Farris

In article ,
says...

Look at what's showing through the thin paper - it looks like a very
detailed airport diagram below it.

http://faris.nerim.net/Bale.jpg

Nice plates... they don't indicate the runway directions on these plates
though, nor right-or-left-pattern requirements??? One would think
right-hand for rwy 16?

Look at what's showing through the thin paper - it looks like a very
detailed airport diagram below it.

YEP! Better visual perception than some contributors here!
If you want to see the other five pages of the document(!) you can look here :
http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv..../VAC/B/VAC%20A
D%202.LFSB.pdf

I only published it because I've always been amused by the coffin and cross
appearance of it. Not to everyone's bemusement, I guess.

The red dot is not an obstacle, but a restricted area. It's explained in the
text.Not all airports in France get six full pages of VFR approach
information. Many have just one page - two sides, but the information is
pretty complete and well presented.

On the down side, the French charts, 1/1,000,000 and 1/500,000, equaivlents to
WAC's and sectionals, though well made, containg less navigational information
than the US counterparts. You don't get runway lengths and pattern
indications, which means you "must" have another source of information. In the
US, it is possible to operate safely to a VFR airport with nothing but a
sectional.

G Faris

Old November 24th 04, 05:21 PM
C J Campbell

Gives new meaning to the term "coffin corner."