drug/alcohol testing policy: effective?

Old December 16th 04, 06:40 AM
Peter Duniho

"Morgans" wrote in message
[...]
I do have an opinion which of these two camps you fall into.

And you had been doing so well since changing your email address.

Oh well...guess we're back to "the good ol' days".

Old December 16th 04, 08:03 AM
Brian Burger

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, C J Campbell wrote:

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
"C J Campbell" wrote in message
It is not the alcohol that is considered beneficial.

Not true. The healthful benefits of moderate alcohol consumption have

been
well established for about a hundred years now.

As a child of alcoholic parents I have a rather dark view of any supposed
'benefits' from drinking alcohol.

*Moderate* alcohol consumption, C.J., *moderate*. Alcoholics aren't known
for moderation.

Brian.
www.warbard.ca/avgas/index.html
Old December 16th 04, 11:34 AM
Morgans

"Peter Duniho" wrote

Oh well...guess we're back to "the good ol' days".

I see you haven't changed, either.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 16th 04, 11:36 AM
Morgans

"Happy Dog" wrote

Tell
you what, why don't you respond to some posts on technical issues and try

stay on topic. We can evaluate your performance by the same criteria.

le moo

I can't believe ANYONE could complain about off topic, in this post.

Yeah, I could.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 16th 04, 11:52 AM
Matt Barrow

"Chip Jones" wrote in message
k.net...

"Happy Dog" wrote in message
"Chip Jones" wrote in message

This guy I know started smoking cannabis in college. He enjoyed it so
much
and so often that he started losing control of the direction his life

was
going in. As you might expect, he soon saw falling school grades, low
energy, no motivation, etc., the classic results of habitual pot use.

It
was fun (he says), but it was a dead end. To steer his ship down a
straighter, narrower channel, this guy walked into a recruiting office

and
enlisted in the Marine Corps.

And you're sure that it was the dope that was the problem and not a

symptom?

Nope.

And your qualification to make that assessment are...?

Are you a psychologist that got into his head in detail, or are you merely
self-professedly psychic?

Gee...ever heard of "cause and effect"?

--
Matt
---------------------

Old December 16th 04, 11:55 AM
Matt Barrow

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

It is not the alcohol that is considered beneficial.

Not true. The healthful benefits of moderate alcohol consumption have

been
well established for about a hundred years now.

As a child of alcoholic parents I have a rather dark view of any supposed
'benefits' from drinking alcohol.

Evidently some of their reasoning problems rubbed off on you with such a
knee-jerk reaction.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old December 16th 04, 01:54 PM
Happy Dog

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Chip Jones" wrote in message
k.net...

"Happy Dog" wrote in message

going in. As you might expect, he soon saw falling school grades,
low
energy, no motivation, etc., the classic results of habitual pot use.

And you're sure that it was the dope that was the problem and not a

symptom?

Nope.

And your qualification to make that assessment are...?

This was attributed to me but I didn't say it. I do note that the poster
said only that he didn't know the source of this individual's problems. No
qualification is necessary for that.

Old December 16th 04, 02:08 PM
Jim Fisher

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

As a child of alcoholic parents I have a rather dark view of any supposed
'benefits' from drinking alcohol.

I figured as much. I'm sure I'd feel the same as you if placed in those
circumstances.

--
Jim Fisher

Old December 16th 04, 03:26 PM
Michael

Chip Jones wrote:
The bottom line is that the THREAT of being popped positive on a

random drug
test seriously deters drug use. In the field of professional

aviation, that
is a good thing.

No, the bottom line is that the rate of use in aviation is so low (as
indicated by the results) that most if not all of the positives are
false positives. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right - and
since nobody seems willing to spend the money to do it right
(eliminating the false positives) I have to assume it's not worth
doing.

Michael

Old December 16th 04, 03:34 PM
C J Campbell

ia.tc.ca...

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
"C J Campbell" wrote in

message
It is not the alcohol that is considered beneficial.

Not true. The healthful benefits of moderate alcohol consumption have

been
well established for about a hundred years now.

As a child of alcoholic parents I have a rather dark view of any

supposed
'benefits' from drinking alcohol.

*Moderate* alcohol consumption, C.J., *moderate*. Alcoholics aren't known
for moderation.

Surprisingly, many are. Be that as it may, I have spent three of the last
five Christmas days in the hospital, visiting alcoholics who are on
respirators or who are locked in "First Ward South" at Harrison Hospital. I
spend an inordinate amount of time counseling kids who have become pregnant
after "moderate" alcohol consumption. Most of my life, when I am not
teaching flying or taking time for photography, is spent in the hospital, in
court, in convalescent centers and elsewhere, dealing with family abuse,
drunk drivers, broken homes, unwanted pregnancies, drug dependencies, and
many other problems. And you know what? Every single one of these people
thinks that a couple of drinks a day is beneficial to their health.

My life would be a lot easier without alcohol.