Unique Idea for "Airshow" May 21-22

Old February 24th 05, 04:45 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Unique Idea for "Airshow" May 21-22

Well, maybe it's not unique -- but *I've* never seen one like it before.
See:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/Photoga...Show/Flyer.htm

A local church group is putting on a "Big Kids Toy Show" at our airport
(KIOW) on May 21st and 22nd. It will be a fly-in breakfast both mornings,
with all sorts of Big Boy Toys on display.

Everything from airplanes, to boats, to motorcycles, to Humvees will be
displayed -- putting all of our bad habits and obsessions in one place!
:-)

Anyone else ever seen this done before? I've offered to help them promote
the event -- has anyone been involved with something like this? Any words
of advice, or things to avoid?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 24th 05, 04:56 PM
Michelle P

Jay,
I take the jet and the tractor. ;-)
Michelle

Old February 24th 05, 05:12 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Anyone else ever seen this done before?

Central Jersey Regional held at least two "Open House" events in the last few
years. The last one I attended included a classic car show and a variety of
vendors. Vendors included ones selling full-size electric cars, toys, food,
etc.. Small scale compared to this.

You might drop John Price a line. http://home.att.net/~jm.price

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.
Old February 24th 05, 05:44 PM
John Harlow

this? Any words of advice, or things to avoid?

Maybe some "What Would Jesus Fly?" bumper stickers?

Or maybe paint camels on your planes and fly them through giant needles?

Old February 24th 05, 07:37 PM
John Ousterhout

May 21st and 22nd. Damn! The same weekend as Pinckneyville.

You know where I'll be.

- J.O.-

Old February 24th 05, 09:50 PM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/Photoga...Show/Flyer.htm

A local church group is putting on a "Big Kids Toy Show" at our airport
(KIOW) on May 21st and 22nd. It will be a fly-in breakfast both mornings,
with all sorts of Big Boy Toys on display.

Friday May 20th
(ANE) Anoka-Blaine Airport, Minnesota.

http://www.lindberghfoundation.org/events/thisyear.html

(From the link above)
Burt Rutan and Erik Lindbergh (pictured here) will be part of the "Legends
of the Sky" hangar party at the Golden Wings Museum where Rutan
(SpaceShipOne designer who won the $10 million X Prize for the first
civilian aircraft to reach space twice within a two-week period) will be the
featured speaker and who, undoubtedly will speak about the future of
aviation. John and Martha King of King Schools, Inc., will serve as the
Masters of Ceremonies and Erik Lindbergh will host the evening. Come and
hear stories of history-making aircraft and their pilots and see vintage
aircraft from the Golden Age of Aviation from Greg Herrick's private
collection.

http://www.goldenwingsmuseum.com/
ANE is just inside the old 20 mile Class B ring for MSP:
18 miles north, at 12 o'clock, from (MSP) Minneapolis/St. Paul
International.

Montblack

Old February 24th 05, 09:53 PM
edddy

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

A Safety comittee and safety officer must be appointed.

And given the task of marhsalling the crowd correctlly.

Airplanes and kids do not mix otherwise. The parents walk
arround assuming all the safety stuff is taken care of
by "not them".

Old February 25th 05, 03:14 AM
Bob Fry

"Jay Honeck" writes:

A local church group is putting on a "Big Kids Toy Show" at our airport
(KIOW) on May 21st and 22nd. It will be a fly-in breakfast both mornings,
with all sorts of Big Boy Toys on display.

Everything from airplanes, to boats, to motorcycles, to Humvees will be
displayed -- putting all of our bad habits and obsessions in one place!
:-)

Anyone else ever seen this done before?

Our local airport group started doing this 2 years ago. We have
static displays of our airplanes, plus cars (a few each of antiques,
hot rods, and experimental fuel cells), bicycles (this is Davis), and
so on. We call it Transportation Day or something.
Old February 25th 05, 04:34 AM
Jay Honeck

May 21st and 22nd. Damn! The same weekend as Pinckneyville.

You know where I'll be.

I know. And it gets worse: My nephew is getting married that weekend -- in
Seattle.

He's already moved the date once for me -- I doubt he'll do it again!

So, I miss the airshow in my own backyard -- AND Pinckneyville...

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 25th 05, 05:59 AM
houstondan

i went to an event something like this at west houston (lakeside iws)
maybe a year ago as i was considering dumping the cash to get into
flying but it was bent a bit more to military toys although i remember
they had some major motorcycles and boy-toy things limited to what
they could do with all those wives around although some wives might
wonder if him gettin a girlfriend would be cheaper!

this is just one of those great ideas whose time has come.

if you really want to identify cases of arrested development with cash
how could you improve upon the targeting of pilots? what better place
to sell high end toys than an airport?

haven't seen the hughes movie, kinda savoring the idea of it, but i'm
real up on the story and also old enough to remember when airfields
were regarded, in the community, as green cathedrals where only very
special and frequently crazy monks could go. the news; papers and
radio, were filled with the latest, fastest and all the names &
pictures. some of that allure or panache or whatever you call it still
attaches to things aviatish and airports are profiting from that by
producing or welcoming events like those y'all described.

more

dan

A Question For Real Airline Pilots Blue Simulators 34 September 6th 04 01:55 AM
Instruction Idea Scott Soaring 3 December 4th 03 01:25 AM
Cross post - NASA/ARMY TRANSFER UNIQUE AIRCRAFT TO AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM Tim Luton Rotorcraft 0 September 11th 03 11:14 PM
bulding a kitplane maybe Van's RV9A --- a good idea ????? Flightdeck Home Built 10 September 9th 03 07:20 PM
they took me back in time and the nsa or japan wired my head and now they know the idea came from me so if your back in time and wounder what happen they change tim liverance history for good. I work at rts wright industries and it a time travel trap tim liverance Military Aviation 0 August 18th 03 12:18 AM