*********A DEFENCE FOR MXMORAN***********

Old March 4th 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default *********A DEFENCE FOR MXMORAN***********

On Mar 4, 10:54*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
BeechSundowner writes:
Yes, you are right in the above about reaching for a switch and and
keeping the plane level, but there is more to it. *Your inner ear
balance gets messed up inside a cloud.

The aircraft's avionics don't, however, and so, once you press the button,
you're straight and level, no matter what sensations you might feel.

Large airliners tend to move very sedately, also, so the sensations are far
less noticeable.

I will keep
repeating, IMC in a cloud is something to be experienced. *Depending
on what you like (or not like), you would never look at MSFS the
same. *MSFS is only a 2D world once you get the opportunity to touch a
cloud

How much IFR have you flown in MSFS?

Everything outside the window in a real aircraft is 2D, except during take-off
and landing. *Depth perception only works out to a distance of 100 feet or so.
Everything else is flat.

Defending the use and benefits to learn what each instruments do, and
learning IFR procedures, I absolutey agree with you. *Defending the
use and learning how to fly an airplane, land an airplane on MSFX,
sorry, the two just don't intertwine.

Knowing what the instruments do and knowing IFR procedures is a huge part of
flying the airplane. *In fact, it's most of the job for commercial air
transports. *Airliners are hardly ever even flown by hand, and they are never
flown under VFR.

Nobody will learn how to land an airplane on MSFX.

Some people will, but they have to start with an open mind.

I suspect many of the rated pilots here have experienced what I have:
vertigo as bad as it gets in a long flight while in the clouds. It is
a non-trivial exercise that takes training to overcome the viseral
instincts and fly by the instruments. JFK Jr is a well known example
of someone who could not unlink primal fear from primal but incorrect
action. A stationary simulator cannot teach that.
Old March 4th 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

a writes:

I suspect many of the rated pilots here have experienced what I have:
vertigo as bad as it gets in a long flight while in the clouds.

Maybe, although I've read that a great deal of IFR flight actually takes place
in IMC, so even rated pilots might not get that much experience flying through
clouds. Flying through clouds has other hazards besides a lack of visibility.

JFK Jr is a well known example
of someone who could not unlink primal fear from primal but incorrect
action.

JFK had issues, apparently.
Old March 4th 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
a writes:

I suspect many of the rated pilots here have experienced what I have:
vertigo as bad as it gets in a long flight while in the clouds.

Maybe, although I've read that a great deal of IFR flight actually takes place
in IMC, so even rated pilots might not get that much experience flying through
clouds. Flying through clouds has other hazards besides a lack of visibility.

Not the slightest clue what "IMC" means.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old March 4th 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Mar 4, 2:20*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
a writes:
I suspect many of the rated pilots here have experienced what I have:
vertigo as bad as it gets in a long flight while in the clouds.

Maybe, although I've read that a great deal of IFR flight actually takes place
in IMC, so even rated pilots might not get that much experience flying through
clouds. *Flying through clouds has other hazards besides a lack of visibility.

JFK Jr is a well known example
of someone who could not unlink primal fear from primal but incorrect
action.

JFK had issues, apparently.

You simply have no real life data to support your statements. There
are requirements for recency of experience for IFR flight. I have had
quite a lot with no outside reference -- that is different than IMC --
and assert vertigo is quite real, and unless one is trained and
current, it can be life threatening.

JFK Jr had issues, he was also unrated for instruments, had plenty of
training that did not seem to help which is why he was still unrated.
It took him, it's been estimated, about 30 seconds from disconnecting
his auto pilot at something like 5,500 feet to impact. Ego greater
than skill has killed a number of pilots.
Old March 4th 09, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

a writes:

You simply have no real life data to support your statements.

It was rumor in this case.
Old March 4th 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

-b- writes:

He was not alone.
There are many who suffer from delusions of competency.
The results are often fatal.

The NTSB has a whole database full of them.