Bumper yaw string

Old November 24th 15, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Bumper yaw string

I want to buy the "Bumper" yaw string but shipping from the usual suppliers want $30+ for shipping to Alberta, Canada. Can I buy direct from bumper?
Old November 24th 15, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes you can and its highly recommended, both the string and dealing directly with the Bumpmiester.

I made the mistake of buying my first MK IV from a certain Minnesotan company that charged an additional 'handling fee'. A handling fee....for putting a tuft of wool in an envelope.... Jesus wept.

CJ
Old November 25th 15, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

:-)
Old November 27th 15, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Can you PM me the info for the direct buy please?
Old November 28th 15, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sent to your gmail address.
Old November 28th 15, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 2:34:46 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I want to buy the "Bumper" yaw string but shipping from the usual suppliers want $30+ for shipping to Alberta, Canada. Can I buy direct from bumper?

I will sell direct, shipping to the USA is free, to most of the rest of the world it's $1 USD additional.

gmail is at

bumperjm
Old November 30th 15, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Curt,

I'm just doing my best to make a living. I need to pay my shipping
assistant. Very small orders take just about as much time to process as
large orders. Some days we ship a lot of small orders. We'd lose money if
we didn't charge the handling fee. Marking up all items would penalize
those who order multiple items. There is no perfect solution. I'm sorry
you weren't happy with the service.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_________________________________

Old November 30th 15, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 9:30:25 PM UTC-8, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Curt,

I'm just doing my best to make a living. I need to pay my shipping
assistant. Very small orders take just about as much time to process as
large orders. Some days we ship a lot of small orders. We'd lose money if
we didn't charge the handling fee. Marking up all items would penalize
those who order multiple items. There is no perfect solution. I'm sorry
you weren't happy with the service.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

When I looked at my first glider, it was breathtakingly beautiful just sitting there - all except for the kluged bit of yarn stuck to the canopy with tape. It's a sickness, but I've always looked at such things with an eye towards, "How might that be made better?" And so the MK series was born in '98. Series, 'cause I kept finding ways to make it better until I was happy with it. MKIV now and I'm pretty happy :c).

Before Paul (Cumulus Soaring) took on the MKIV & QV, my sales were all direct, ras & word of mouth. Now, Paul sells fifty MKIV's to my one. That benefits us both, as I save time and hopefully it helps Paul's business in a small way. Cumulus Soaring, like any business, needs to profit, while for me it's fortunately just a hobby, a way of sharing one of my small inventions.

I will continue to sell direct, especially overseas where that makes sense as I can ship for the cost of a stamp. At the same time, I understand it's important to support our on-line soaring businesses, they provide an important service in a difficult small niche market. And most of the better soaring supplies carry "bumper" stuff - so when you place an order please add a MKIV too.

all the best,

Old December 1st 15, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

I received a private email asking why the MKIV is better than taped yarn and what improvements occurred between the various MK's. I'd like to share my response:

Were to start?!

Firstly I wanted to get rid of the tape. When tape residue hardens, it can be extremely difficult to remove. Clear tape is the absolute worst. UV degrades the plastic part and the underlying adhesive is like concrete. The plastic won't peel off but stays intact enough to "protect" the adhesive from any solvent one is brave enough to use on the acrylic. Denatured alcohol, applied briefly is about as brave as I can get. I've spent almost an hour removing one of those on one of *redacted - a famous supporter of soaring* ships. No thanks.

So there were two primary goals. Get rid of the tape and make sure that what replaced it would come off cleanly when that time arrived. Also the base should be completely clear. And shaped to help minimize static yarn static cling and keep it clear of the canopy in flight (no touching so no yarn "wipe mark" from fine scratches).

Initial change from MKI to MKII was shape only. The MKI was shaped like a baseball diamond, pointy end forward. The MKII is 3/4" long and pie shaped in a sense, it being cut from a 3/4 inch circle rather than a 1 1/2" circle (which would make it a real pie shape).

MKII to MKIII was an overlay plastic material change. But sill using semi-rigid plastics with a mechanically pressed yarn channel.

MKIII to MKIV changed to a softer plastic overlay (edit - less tendency to lift up off canopy at the edges), with a thermoformed yarn channel.

Subsequent improvements did not result in a MK number change, but included injecting a polymer into the base yarn after final assembly to help prevent yarn pull-outs. Not a common problem, but there were a few. There were a number of lesser improvements relating to assembly methods, mostly for quality, consistency, and for ease of assembly.

Included index dot (some use them to mark center line inside canopy) has changed from paper to plastic and finally to "white" reflective tape. Light color so it doesn't fool the peripheral vision into thinking it's another aircraft. Size has changed too, and is now 5 mm.

A recent change to a corner rounding punch to cut the rear radius was a complete flop. Could not make it do as nice a job trimming the clear double sided adhesive as doing it the old way by hand using scissors. It looked so good going in and I spent hours trying to get it to work. Can't win them all..

The shape, like one section of zig-zag tape, creates two tiny vortices to help keep the yarn "alive", while the .038" base thickness and yarn tunnel keeps the yarn from touching the canopy in flight.

There are some 30 steps in manufacturing each MKIV, along with a dozen primary jigs and fixtures and a number of custom made tools as well. All to make the job go a bit smoother and to insure perfect alignment of center yarn hole, yarn, base, adhesive, and a bubble free clear laminate. All resulting in a small thing that looks befitting of the ship it goes on.

all the best,

bumper

Old December 1st 15, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

:-)