removing mylars at every annual?

Old October 10th 17, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

Default removing mylars at every annual?

How are I.A.s dealing with inspecting around mylars, are they removing these spendy items every year. If not, what are the control surface hinge inspection considerations?

this came up recently for me, luckily I had tissu tape on the upper gap, not so spendy, but before I put on mylars id like to be better informd.

Thanks,
Scott
Old October 10th 17, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The integrity of the hinge can be verified by gently pushing up/down and fore/aft at each hinge post. Lubrication can be done by sticking spray-lube tube under the Mylar at each hinge.
JJ
Old October 10th 17, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:07:03 AM UTC-4, wrote:
The integrity of the hinge can be verified by gently pushing up/down and fore/aft at each hinge post. Lubrication can be done by sticking spray-lube tube under the Mylar at each hinge.
JJ

I do the same except use a small hypodermic needle to put a small drop of oil in the hinge. Less messy than spray lube for most people.
UH
Old October 10th 17, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:32:27 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:07:03 AM UTC-4, wrote:
The integrity of the hinge can be verified by gently pushing up/down and fore/aft at each hinge post. Lubrication can be done by sticking spray-lube tube under the Mylar at each hinge.
JJ

I do the same except use a small hypodermic needle to put a small drop of oil in the hinge. Less messy than spray lube for most people.
UH

yes, hypodermic needle is the way to go! A&Ps who use spray grease on gliders noeed to....not do that.
Old October 10th 17, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

My AME uses Tri Flow Superior spray lube which happens to be specified for

certain helicopter rotors.

No grease = no dirt.

You can find it at bicycle shops.

Old October 10th 17, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 4:00:07 PM UTC-4, George Haeh wrote:
My AME uses Tri Flow Superior spray lube which happens to be specified for

certain helicopter rotors.

No grease = no dirt.

You can find it at bicycle shops.

LPS1 is commonly used in Colorado. Grit doesn't stick and it works well at high altitudes (white lithium grease tends to freeze up). The SZD-55 ailerons can be removed without removing external mylars at the annual for lube (requires a logbook entry and second signature by pilot confirming PCC done)..
Old October 10th 17, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 5:55:22 AM UTC-7, Scott Williams wrote:
How are I.A.s dealing with inspecting around mylars, are they removing these spendy items every year. If not, what are the control surface hinge inspection considerations?

this came up recently for me, luckily I had tissu tape on the upper gap, not so spendy, but before I put on mylars id like to be better informd.

Thanks,
Scott

Uh no. ...but that does reminds me of a great story, I'll not mention the location to save embarrassment,... a new line boy is being showed the ropes, how to remove wing tape on a glider at the end of a day. He is asked to finish that off and the supervisor leaves... to come back later and find all the mylars removed as well.
Old October 10th 17, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

If you have proper sealing, teflon tape under mylar, it is not possible to lubricate hinges. Use upper mylar to prevent water or dust entering hinge. Change everything after 3-5 years and lubricate using grease, not anything that comes out of spray can as it is only cosmetics.
Old October 10th 17, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 2:10:23 PM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
If you have proper sealing, teflon tape under mylar, it is not possible to lubricate hinges. Use upper mylar to prevent water or dust entering hinge.. Change everything after 3-5 years and lubricate using grease, not anything that comes out of spray can as it is only cosmetics.

Sure you can, if you want to, you stick a large hypodermic needle thought the teflon barrier tape and apply oil from a syringe.
Old October 10th 17, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 3:20:13 PM UTC-6, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 2:10:23 PM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
If you have proper sealing, teflon tape under mylar, it is not possible to lubricate hinges. Use upper mylar to prevent water or dust entering hinge. Change everything after 3-5 years and lubricate using grease, not anything that comes out of spray can as it is only cosmetics.

Sure you can, if you want to, you stick a large hypodermic needle thought the teflon barrier tape and apply oil from a syringe.

Hmmmm.........you might want to check your bottoms!

Best. Tom #711

PS glad your not Doctor giving me a shot!

Removing flux? Michael Horowitz Home Built 6 July 22nd 10 12:33 PM
Removing 2-33A wheel lanebush Soaring 2 June 27th 09 02:15 PM
Removing RTV John Home Built 6 October 31st 06 11:07 PM
Removing Decals [email protected] Home Built 85 September 9th 05 11:58 PM
Removing old antennas Jay Honeck Owning 30 March 21st 04 05:34 PM