2005 Seniors last 3 Days #711 reporting

Old March 15th 05, 02:11 AM

Default 2005 Seniors last 3 Days #711 reporting

Yes, we had 2 accidents. Maybe we should ALL wait till the reports and
details come in, before we do more damage than is needed. I did see and
hear from persons who saw both accidents. The best news was no one was
hurt. Now, we will wait till the folks figure out what happened. The
last two days were windy, with Friday first, which had clouds and at
cruise altitudes between 1500 agl to maybe 4500 agl. Some went to the
west side of the first tunpoint, A few of us started later and went to
the far east side of the turn area. We had a huge fire a few miles west
of the start and the smoke was very thick. Several just went in to land
due to the smoke, they then after landing complained about the smoke
while smoking a cig. Ya. Ok, every thing really went ok for Friday with
the final day being the kicker. On Saturday, the CD Spratt, called a
modest task of 100 miles. A comment was made not to Crown the King
before the final day, soooooooo the task was changed. Splish, splash,
some are going to take baths. Before the day was over, we had 25
landouts. The awards dinner was at 7 pm and as we know glider pilots
don't miss food, everybody got to the awards dinner. Hecl, I was hoping
for 2 cheese cakes, but only got one. Some started early, around 2 pm,
I started last around 2:24 pm. The leg to the first turn was spent just
bumping along at 2,500 agl. Just after the first turn, yes, more smoke
from another fire, and we are going into a 20 kt headwind, with only
getting to 3,000 ft msl, before the lift quit. I got really lucky and
saw a haze dome in the smoke and climbed up to 4,500 agl at about 4
kts. which helped me along. After getting into the 2ond turn area, I
joined up with DJ and several others now trying to get home. DB has
already splashed down, someones at the farthes point south in the turn
area, and splashes down. I hear of others splashing down. With our
small group we now cling onto all lift before heading out. We cross
Winterhaven, the airborne sink hole. We are getting low. DJ, feels a
bump and turns left, I feel a bump and turn right. Nothing. I now start
heading towards the hang glider field, see a bird, climb at 2.5 kts,
with 500 above final glide and get home. DJ, splashes down at
Winterhaven. At the awards dinner, Charlie tells us someone really
wanted this longer task, to test the big dogs. I won't say who said
this, but they, meaning a 2 place, are at Winterhaven waiting for a
aero tow home. Yep, bet your bootie on that. Good news with all the
landouts no damage. My laptop blew up, as I would have posted more
news. On the Fridays pilots meeting, with all crews and other SSAer's,
were asked to vote on Charlies news being posted on the only members
web page. NOW, Dennis, if your reading this, everybody voted to let it
be on the contest news page. So, it goes along with the contests
reports. George Moffat, and I spoke about Charlies writing skills, and
yes, Charlie is good at what he does, George feels he's one of the best
at writing up these contest reports. Perry is my next stop. If I get my
notbook working, and a phone line, I will post the goodstuff as we get
it. KS did a super job of flying, DB and DJ, were right their, with 2W
in on the action, DUO was right at top but when I spoke with Tom at the
awards dinner, I could tell he wasn't feeling well. Heck, he could
hardly talk. Flying now at the Seniors now for the last 2 years, has
been a treat for me. All the folks put on a show and I am, along with
all the others, thankful for the contest they put on. If you get a
chance, its a great place to see and the red carpet will be out for
you. Ed Byars flew with KS on one day, and when he told us how the day
went, he said he didn't upchuck, so he didn't need a fruit bag. Thermal
tight, Soar high, Fly safe. # 711 reporting.