Jim Burns is An Old Man Today

Old March 7th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Jim Burns is An Old Man Today

One of our senior citizen patrons took a dump in our rec center lap pool
last Tuesday morning. They were too embarassed to admit it was themself
(Jay, what's the proper way to word that?), but they did tell the
manager on duty as they were leaving that they thought there was
something in the pool.
It took over an hour-and-a-half to clean before we could allow patrons
back in.

Yuck. It happens.

BTW: As the husband of a certified pool operator, (Yes, in the State of
Iowa, you have to be CERTIFIED to have a stupid swimming pool. All this
means is we pay the State ANOTHER tax, but I digress...) I can tell you that
there is no way you could clean that pool adequately (or, at least,
lawfully) in that amount of time. Once fecal matter has been introduced,
you have to first drain, then shock, the pool.

Unless this is a plastic kiddie wading pool, you can't do that in anything
less than a day.

Don't ask me how I know this...

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 7th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Jay Honeck wrote:

BTW: As the husband of a certified pool operator, (Yes, in the State of
Iowa, you have to be CERTIFIED to have a stupid swimming pool. All this
means is we pay the State ANOTHER tax, but I digress...) I can tell you that
there is no way you could clean that pool adequately (or, at least,
lawfully) in that amount of time. Once fecal matter has been introduced,
you have to first drain, then shock, the pool.

We had to shock our water well, but that just meant dumping in a couple
of quarts of Chlorox and then recirculating the water back into the well
for a specified period of time. Once you drain your pool, what do you
shock when the water is all gone?

Matt
Old March 7th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Unless this is a plastic kiddie wading pool, you can't do that in anything
less than a day.

Don't ask me how I know this...

1975-1978 High School pool lifeguard

"Floaties"

1. Colander (plastic strainer) + strong chlorine in a bleach jug + 1 gallon
pail.
2. Move kids away from the particular area (usually a corner for some
reason).
3. Lowest guard on the seniority list scoops the poop into pail.
4. Other guard opens side door.
5. Fling floatie(s) outside onto grass.
6. Pour gallon of concentrated chlorine around the area.
7. Make kids wait 15 minutes before they can swim in that area.
8. Point to some older kids, have them come over, sit on the side, and kick
the water to stir up the chlorine after 15 minutes - just to make sure. Hey,
we were the (17 year old) lifeguards - kids did what we told them to do.
:-)

200 kids in pool continue to play and swim.

We learned not to try scooping with the 1 gallon plastic ice cream container
because the scooping motion would often push the "catch of the day" away
from the lip of the pail. The colander was the thing that made out system
work. g

Montblack