Aircraft insurance rates

Old March 6th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Aircraft insurance rates

Trying to find a comparison of SEL aircraft and insurance rates. I know that
Cirrus is on the high side and..depending on whom you believe...Diamond and
Tiger might be on the low side.

Can anyone point me to a website that covers most of the available,
normal-to-high performance piston planes? The search engines are nearly
useless since they'll pump out hundreds of insurance websites offering
quotes.

Old March 6th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Robert M. Gary wrote:
The rates are mostly dependant on the value of the aircraft and the
pilot. In my plane (M20F) I've seen pilots with rates below $1000/yr
and some around $4000/yr. It depends on the pilot.
I like SouthWestAviation.com Call them up and they will quote lots of
companies for you. The problem with AOPA is that they only quote one
company.

-Robert

Good point. AOPA always quoted me with AIG. Also you will need your log
book handy. The underwriters usually want tour total time, time in type,
time last 12 months, and last biannual & medical date. Aopa does have a
web quote service but as the above poster mentioned you may not get the
best deal. When we traded planes AIG required 25hr of dual instruction
in a high performance before solo while AVMEMCO required only 10.
Old March 6th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 5-Mar-2006, "H.P." wrote:

Can anyone point me to a website that covers most of the available,
normal-to-high performance piston planes?

I don't think that such a site exists. However, good aviation insurance
brokers recognize that insurability -- and affordability of insurance -- are
key factors these days in making an aircraft purchase decision.
Accordingly, they should be willing to work with you to get quotes for
several representative makes/models that you might be interested in.

I recommend that you work with a local broker that either specializes in
aviation insurance or that has a dedicated department that does so. A good
relationship with a knowledgeable insurance broker can be very helpful,
particularly if you ever need to file a claim

-Elliott Drucker
Old March 7th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

However, good aviation insurance brokers recognize that insurability --

That's a good suggestion. There are some older twins out there than can
be had very cheaply but they are almost impossible to insure due to the
lack of parts.

-Robert

Old March 7th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

H.P. wrote:
Trying to find a comparison of SEL aircraft and insurance rates. I know that
Cirrus is on the high side and..depending on whom you believe...Diamond and
Tiger might be on the low side.

Can anyone point me to a website that covers most of the available,
normal-to-high performance piston planes? The search engines are nearly
useless since they'll pump out hundreds of insurance websites offering
quotes.

If you are an AOPA member, go to their website, click on the "AOPA
Insurance Agency" icon on the lower left side of the screen. Then click
on "Online quotes" and "Quik Quote".

I tried to get it to work on a Cirrus SR-20 but it wouldn't give me a
quote. This is odd because it did quote me for an A-36 Bonanza when I
tried it out (at $5166 per year for $1M coverage, $250K hull, and zero
previous time in Bonanzas with 650TT and 150 retract with Commercial &
Instrument)

A 70s Tiger with a $90K hull value was $2126 based on the same hours &
coverage. An 80s 182 valued at $125K came in at $2023 per year (but I
have 100hrs in those)

I'm not sure why the Cirrus SR-20 option on the menu doesn't work, so
you might have to call them. It appears they don't like quoting on
Cirruses since I even got a quote for a B-58 Baron at $7657 per year
(with a grand total of 3 hours multi :-)

Even without the Cirrus option, the website does allow you to figure
out some interesting things.

Eric
1959 Pilatus P-3
http://www.hometown.aol.com/bartscher/index.html

Old March 8th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

H.P. wrote:
Trying to find a comparison of SEL aircraft and insurance rates. I know that
Cirrus is on the high side and..depending on whom you believe...Diamond and
Tiger might be on the low side.

Can anyone point me to a website that covers most of the available,
normal-to-high performance piston planes? The search engines are nearly
useless since they'll pump out hundreds of insurance websites offering
quotes.

On any airplane that there are a lot of out there, the price pretty
nicely scales with pilot experience vs. hull value. If you've
got an odd-ball..either excessively new technology, or an older
limitted run, your field of underwriters is limitted, so things
are less competitive.