Garmin 496

Old July 20th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kobra[_1_]

Default Garmin 496

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap496/

Just as I said in an earlier post. The price appears to be $2,395.00.

Kobra

Old July 20th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kobra[_1_]

Ooops...2,795.00

. ..

Old July 20th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

There's a dealer from Canada who participates on the Cessna Pilots Assoc
website that will sell you one for $2545 US prepaid, no sales tax.
Canadian regs don't allow Garmin to set the minimum price and also allow
sales to the US.

Old July 21st 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron A.[_1_]

Newps,

I would be very interested in some further "hints" as to the dealer. I
was just in NW Ontario on a fishing trip with the family last month. I
don't belong to the Cessna Pilots Assoc.

I did a search of Garmin auth dealers in Canada, but there are so many
aviation dealers if you include all the provinces. I have an old 196 that I
wouldn't mind upgrading. According to the G2 chart specs which the 496 will
take, it will render aerial photos of marine harbour sites. I assume it
would other sites too. It must have a ton of memory. I also see you can
add your own points of interest. One thing I have missed for a while with
my old Pilot III was the inclusion of private strips.

I have some private grass strips around here that are privately owned,
public use and it would be nice to have them on a gps again for the burger
runs.

Ron

Old July 21st 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

http://www.aeroteknic.com/

Ask for Pascal Gosselin

Here's his post on the CPA site.

Ok here's the deal on getting your GPSMAP 496 from us in Canada (where
we are exempt from Garmin's minimum retail price policies).

Price: $2,545 US; UPS 2nd day shipping included (a $250 savings), no
sales tax. Order must be prepaid via a money order. Estimated
availability: around mid-August (same time as all of the non-Oshkosh
dealers get them).

Old July 21st 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron A.[_1_]

Thank you very much! The money order is the only thing I would worry about.
I will have to do some homework before I will commit to that. Not much
control on my end if I use a money order.

Ron

"Newps" wrote

Old July 21st 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_1_]

Ron A. wrote:
Thank you very much! The money order is the only thing I would worry about.
I will have to do some homework before I will commit to that. Not much
control on my end if I use a money order.

None at all, actually. There's no way in hell I'd enter into a deal like that.
It screams "Rip me off!". This is what they make credit cards for.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old July 21st 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Ron A. wrote:

Thank you very much! The money order is the only thing I would worry about.
I will have to do some homework before I will commit to that. Not much
control on my end if I use a money order.

None at all, actually. There's no way in hell I'd enter into a deal like that.
It screams "Rip me off!". This is what they make credit cards for.

I would second that view.

Might as well send the money order to Nigeria. ;-)

Having said that, they guy *could* be legit and doesn't want to fight
international credit card charge backs.
Old July 21st 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steve S

"Sam Spade" wrote in message
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
None at all, actually. There's no way in hell I'd enter into a deal like
that. It screams "Rip me off!". This is what they make credit cards for.

I would second that view.

Might as well send the money order to Nigeria. ;-)

Having said that, they guy *could* be legit and doesn't want to fight
international credit card charge backs.

Or pay the 2.something percent fee

Old July 22nd 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kobra[_1_]

Or pay the 2.something percent fee

I would never agree to a MO on a deal like this. If this was a legit vendor
he would accept CC's. If anyone is worried about 2% then I would pay the 2%
difference on the CC.

Kobra