Getting the MOCA

Old July 1st 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

Default Getting the MOCA

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

I cited it previously. You either cannot or will not read the references.

You provided no reference.

Old July 1st 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
. com...

So by installing a yoke mounting clamp permanently in the a/c (and
making the appropriate paper work entries), the handheld GPS becomes
usable (if certified) for IFR enroute and maybe approach?

No, by doing the appropriate paperwork for the permanently installed yoke
mounting clamp that installation is legal. The handheld GPS was already
usable for IFR enroute use in US controlled airspace.

Old July 1st 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Jose" wrote in message
. com...

tee hee

There are two problems I see here, one is that the laws are not written in
the FARs (or CFR). They are written ad hoc case by case after each crash,
loosely modeled on the FARs. This is just one example of how what is
written is not what is followed.

But the other issue is the definition of the word "use". You can =use= a
ham sandwich. You just can't rely on it (i.e. turn off all the other
equipment and divine your way in IMC using the holes of the swiss chesse
to guide you). And if the ham sandwich (or portable GPS) differs in its
readings from the approved devices, you are required to use the approved
devices' readings.

The rule that covers this is the same rule that covers the requirment to
have the IFR equipment on in the first place. (or, let me ask you - do
you think it is legal to fly an airplane in IMC under IFR with the full
complement of approved instrumentation, with all of it in the OFF
position?

No. But nobody is advocating that.

Old July 1st 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

No. But nobody is advocating that [(flying IMC with all equipment OFF)].

In that case I maintain that we (FSVO "we") and they (FSVO "they") are
getting hung up on the word "use", referring to "rely on".

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 1st 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Jose" wrote in message
.com...

In that case I maintain that we (FSVO "we") and they (FSVO "they") are
getting hung up on the word "use", referring to "rely on".

What's FSVO?

Old July 1st 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

What's FSVO?

"for some value of". I am slightly nonspecificating the words "we" and
"they".

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 2nd 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Jose" wrote in message
news
What's FSVO?

"for some value of". I am slightly nonspecificating the words "we" and
"they".

What's nonspecificating?

Old July 2nd 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

What's FSVO?
"for some value of". I am slightly nonspecificating the words "we" and
"they".

What's nonspecificating?

Making less specific, or more nonspecific.

"We are getting thrown by the usage of the word 'use'." is an example -
the word "we" could mean you and I, it could mean everyone on this
newsgroup, it could mean all the posters that responded, it could mean
all the turkeys that disagree with me... and no doubt somebody will
interpret the word to include himself and disagree that "we" is
appropriate. But there is "some value of 'we'" for which (I claim) the
statement is true.

Similarly "they" could refer to the other turkeys that disagree with me
g, the FAA, aliens, whatever. There is some value of "they" for which
the statement is true.

By making the statement, I am implying (but will now explicitly state)
that the values of "we" and "they" are reasonable values in the context
of the discussion, but it is not important exactly what those values are
to the point I'm trying to make.

The term comes from math and science - as in "for some value of x, the
derivative of the function is zero". Geeks have expanded the usage of
"value" so that it includes common usages of other words.

Jose
--
2+2=5 for extremely small values of 5.
Old July 2nd 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Jim Carter wrote:

So by installing a yoke mounting clamp permanently in the a/c (and
making the appropriate paper work entries), the handheld GPS becomes
usable (if certified) for IFR enroute and maybe approach?

A yoke mount with a clamp is not permanently installed, no matter what
you say in your logbook. The handheld GPS is never legal for enroute IFR.
Old July 3rd 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

The handheld GPS is never legal for enroute IFR.

What law is violated by such use?